Tuesday I made it to the library. I was holding my breath as the librarian tallied up the damage and then tacked on $4 for each of the 15 items for "processing." The total came to $249.62. Woohoo!
Wednesday the library called and informed me that a woman in SLC had found a bag of books in her front yard on Sunday morning. She called my county's library and read them a title of one of the books. They linked it to my account and saw that the note on my account that books had been stolen. They gave me Kind Stranger #2's name and number and I called her and arranged a time to come pick up my books that were still in my favorite tote bag! Me:"Now I'd be happy to meet you at a McDonald's or something if you'd feel more comfortable." K.S.#2: "Oh no, I'm not worried about that." I guess someone coming to claim There's a Wocket in my Pocket doesn't seem too threatening.
Thursday we drove to Kind Stranger #2's house all the while trying to satisfy Elliott's questions about why a stranger so far from our house had our library books. We hadn't really explained the events of Saturday evening, not wanting to spook him. Kind Stranger #2's house wasn't even a block from the parking lot where my car had been broken into. Also, she wasn't afraid of me coming to her house because who accompanied her to her door, but a dog the size of a small horse! That thing could have eaten me! We thanked her and when we got in the car I counted to make sure they were all there. They were. Guess the lowlifes weren't in the mood to watch Pollyanna. Then we headed to meet some of our North Carolina friends at the Hogle Zoo where we would ironically, leave the library books in the car for a few hours.
So friends, that is the story of my tote bag talking to me, me not listening, and then my totebag finding me again. If any of your library books get stolen in the future, I hope it happens somewhere where the criminals and Kind Strangers are as nice as they are here in Utah.

4 comments:
Madelyn, you are hilarious. I'm sorry you had to go through that headache, but I love your sense of humor about the whole thing. It figures that the thieves were from Wyoming! ;)
That is an awesome story. I'm sorry you have to deal with the scary experience, and replacing the window. But I'm glad you got those books back!
Hooray for kind and good Strangers. :) (and for getting your bag and books back).
Whoa! That is a crazy web of events. Glad it worked out okay.
Post a Comment