1) Think in bulk and as cheap as possible: Like when feeding the missionaries (19 year old boys are bottomless pits, there is no use slaving away for hours when it's going to be devoured and forgotten in 10 minutes flat) Guests you are related to might also go in this category. =)
- breakfast for dinner--massive quantities of waffles, sausage, bacon, eggs
- brunch type foods--a Southwestern egg bake, chorizo burritos
- chili, cornbread, baked potatoes
- Tacos/Taco salad
2) Cooking to impress: husband's colleagues, new acquaintances, etc.
- any favorite Rachael ray concoction
- fancy appetizers
- Needing more suggestions here--
- these recipes tend to take too long, take 15 ingredients, and are very time sensitive, with stress maximizing near guests' arrival
3) okay I guess we need a middle ground here-simple but tasty food for a relaxing, fun evening with friends
- A favorite soup recipe
- enchiladas
- a large piece of meat having been in the crockpot all day turned into a bbq thing or a burrito thing
- more ideas?
- meatloaf--and don't rolls your eyes until you've had a Paula Deen meatloaf!
What do you guys make when people come over?! What are some standards you always fall back on? Or do you all think I'm crazy and think of dinner as dinner and would never compartmentalize it in your brain this way?

5 comments:
I don't compartmentalize in the same way, I think. Like, I'll make breakfast for friends. And nothing I make is ever very facy looking, even if it should be.
A roasted chicken is a good idea. Looks fancy, is really cheap, and is so easy to make. Roasted potatoes and carrots alongside. I make the most amazing pot roast you have ever had, but you have to make it in the oven, not the crockpot. I can share the recipe if you want. Creme Brulee looks fancy and is really easy and you make it ahead of time (I saw a bunch of kitchen torches at Ross here- totally a great Christmas gift!)
Like my superlong comment?!
When I am having company I fix things that I usually can supplement with lots of side dishes - so I don't have to make a lot of the main dish or a least more than normal. Enchilada casserole, lasagna, clam chowder, or a roast. I usually do simple, but tasty meals. I hadn't thought about breakfast for dinner with guests!
Missionary food: Spaghetti (sometimes with meatballs), I had all this whole wheat for food storage. You can use it for expanding meat...You can also add it to the sauce. I've had missionaries only able to eat one helping since it's so filling...and I thought it tasted good!
Impressive food: Cornish game hen. These just seem so super fancy when everyone get their own, and you can stuff them (herbed veggies, my fav). Add sides of fancy prepared acorn squash, or quinoa salad...things they've never heard of before...with a personal parfaits or a trifle for dessert
For friends: Chimichangas...nothing says we value you like meat fried in a tortilla and smothered with red sauce and sour cream, ect.
For just us: Tacos, rice based casseroles, and mac and cheese...love mac and cheese!
Oh, yeah, dinners you take to people:
Since I was receiving from people for so long, I do have insight.
I got lots of spaghetti (and spaghetti variations). So that can be overwhelming...and get old. I really liked having something that I could take out of the freezer, just in case I wasn't up for that particular meal that evening (since I'd had it the night before), or my husband decided to pick up Chinese on his way home. Lasagna while still somewhat spaghetti-ish is still one I like to take...or make a whole lot so I have it when there is a need. Also Tater Tot Casserole, is a winner here that's easy to share. (be sure to include paper plates and utensils when you take a meal over...it's great not to have to clean up after, since you're not able to cook it, you usually can't get around to cleaning up after it either!
Um, my fake Cafe Rio combines all those things! Hurrah! And um, you're pregnant. So call up Chez Chilis, put it on plates, and call it yours :).
The one time I got to dine with your family I was lucky enough to get option 3 and it was delish!
Post a Comment