Thursday, December 4, 2008

bah humbug doctors!

36 weeks! yay! My c-section is scheduled 22 days from now. I went to my appt. today for an ultrasound to see if the amniotic fluid level is still too high (even though the tech said it was normal 3 weeks ago, it apparently was high). Yes, there's still too much fluid. This puts me at risk for my water breaking. Well hallelujah! The doctor acted like this was a bad thing and said I should take it easy. It makes me want to go down my stairs on my butt.

So people can have too much fluid for a number of reasons or no reason at all, but one of those potential causes is having gestational diabetes. So today my lovely little doctor said I needed to take the 3 hour glucose tolerance test EVEN THOUGH I PASSED the first one! Can you believe that? I'm so mad. So if I do have gestational diabetes "we need to get that under control" like I'm some rabid sugar animal. If I do have it, they'll put me on a low carb/low sugar diet (at Christmas time for the love!) for a week to see if it gets under control. If it's not under control she'll give me two choices 1) take a pill or insulin shots to keep it under control or 2) go to the hospital, have an amniocentesis to see if the baby is mature, and if she is, they'll do a csection that day or in the following couple days. Doesn't this sound like it's getting a little out of hand? There's no way I'm voluntarily getting an amniocentesis like a week before she's scheduled to come out anyway. And as far as her being mature, just look at her mom! Just kidding. But really, they estimated her at 7 lbs. today so I think she'll be fine!

Why do doctors always make me mad in the end?! Since I got here, the doctor has been saying, well you're measuring big, or you have too much fluid. The next sentence is always, "But you passed your glucose test so we know it's not that. Now today, she decides I need the whopper of a test. Because it's their policy? Just to be sure? Just because she can and it's not her body being tortured? I feel lied to. The other thing she did that made me mad today is this WHOLE time I've been asking, "Can we schedule the c-section?" And she's always said, there's no need to schedule it this early, we can get them anytime we want. Then a few weeks ago she said, "And I'll be in the hospital on Dec. 26 so I can do it so you don't need to meet the other doctors if you don't want to." So today she said, "Actually, I'm going to be getting off that morning after working on Christmas day so would you mind if my colleague did it?" No I don't care who does it as long as they're competent, but why did it take you until now to figure this out when I've been asking you to schedule it all along? I know it's cocky, but I OFTEN feel frustrated by people I come across on a daily basis when I think I could do their job (at least parts of it) better than they do it. I don't like feeling that way about the person in charge of my health. Now I don't get to meet my csection doctor until next Friday. Bah humbug.

Now about that glucose test--do you know how tempted I am to just not do it? I'm supposed to show up to a quest diagnostics lab anywhere and have it done. It sounds so much better just to play dumb and forget to do it before I meet my doctor next Friday, just to delay this rediculousness a little bit. But I've always been too much of a goody two shoes to go against orders so I'll probably just passive aggressively, put it off until next Tuesday or Wednesday so they won't have the results by the time I see the doctor on Friday.

Thanks for putting up with my JUST GET THIS BABY OUT rantings for today.

7 comments:

Carolyn said...

Oh, Madelyn. That sounds awful. I'm sorry your suffering and that the doctor is being such a jerk. Doctors can be like that.

happyfamily said...

I totally think doctors, especially OB's overdoctor ALL THE TIME!!! Can you just say no? What if you just refuse to show up at the hospital for your early delivery (like you're going to refuse your glucose test). PS. Women 50 years ago were not told that they had too much water. That's kinda silly sounding.
PPS. I'm not a doctor, so don't listen to my rant in support of your rant, but my water broke and I had a c-section, and nothing bad happened to me. I guess it's bad if it's supposed to be all scheduled and stuff, but that seems like a secondary problem.

Miss L said...

Maybe you should agree to meet with the collegue who is going to be deliverying your baby and ask them if they think you need the glucose test at 36 weeks while your baby is measuring 7 pounds. See, I don't see the big concern...I had lots of fluid with Miss O and they thought she was over 10 pounds, so that's why they induced me early, and it turns out that she was just close to 8lbs 13 oz. And, technically, you are full term at 37 weeks, so by the time you got the test done, you'd be full term. I dunno. I'd be upset, too, and I think I'd want a second opinion, especially about the amnio. That's crap to me. I'm just saying. And that's my rant for you. :) But then again, I've never had a c-section, so I don't know if that's a concern for that or not. Good luck with everything, though.

Heather Ridge said...

Oh, you are so close. I can't believe it is that time again already. Good luck with the glucose test or not? HEHE! Can't wait to see pics of the new babe.

Courtney said...

I had gestational diabetes and I can't see how getting a test now would help anything! Sometimes it takes 2 weeks to regulate your blood sugar anyway! Sometimes I hate being the patient who has to listen to all these doctors!

My friend was due Christmas and she went into labor 2 days ago so maybe your water will break and you won't have to worry about all this!

Adrienne said...

A) they have no clue how big your baby is. I delivered elephants and each time, it was like a revelation. HELLOOOOO.
B) Ugh. I hate the situation where you still have to do it, but you don't want to, but the "what if" is enough to drag your sore sorry self down the glucose screener man.
C) go down the stairs on your butt.
Your rant was hilarious too, btw. Now go eat some low-sugar, low-fat M&Ms.

Celeste Christensen said...

That sounds sad. But I know. They wouldn't schedule Alicia. I kept telling them, it was until my records from Uof I-Chicago came that they would do it. I was on the schedule for 4 months. I am so excited and want baby pictures!

"All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players: They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts" ...and in the wings of my stage, there is music.