Thursday, October 15, 2009

pictures and music

I was worried we weren't cute enough to make her blog but Emily, our photographer from back in June, just posted some of her favorites from our session on our blog. Yippeee! Lily already looks so different....

Today is an exciting day! Brian is playing a REALLY big IMPORTANT piece called Konzertstuck by Schumann this weekend. It's a concerto for 4 horns and orchestra so the 4 horn players of the North Carolina Symphony, with Brian at the helm, will stand IN FRONT of the orchestra and play this beautiful and exciting piece. My in laws are flying in to hear it! Brian has been working on his part since May and he sounds great. He brought home a recording of their rehearsal with the orchestra yesterday and they sounded so AWESOME. I am so pumped about the first performance tonight that my eyes flew open at 6AM today, and I was wide awake. Brian's still asleep...

I am so proud of Brian! He has a really hard job because there are so many opportunities to mess up. Any break in concentration can equal disaster, musically speaking. Last weekend he had a really high, hard, and important part in Beethoven's 7 Symphony and he did so great. I heard it on Friday night and my heart was leaping out my chest with pride and joy for how good he was sounding. After the concert was over, like at 10:15 pm, the conductor held a short question and answer session for anyone in the audience who wanted to come down and sit at the front near the stage. He picks one member of the orchestra to join him and he picked Brian last weekend. I was so tickled to see the 50 or so people hanging out so late at night admiring him and curious about how he does what he does. It was very cool. We are so blessed.

6 comments:

Jenny said...

Those are GREAT pictures! You have an adorable family!

Tori said...

What an exciting time for you and Brian! That would be such an awesome career. I feel so privileged to have heard you two play a duet before you moved! Your family pictures are amazing! Emily does a great job, and she had very cute subjects.

peterfam said...

I hear ya! How exciting. Im singing it in my head as I read your post. Congrats to you hubby! What a tough, but awesome life!

Sarah McK said...

That is so awesome! He's lucky to have a wife that knows music and french horn so well so that she can truly appreciate the amazing work that he is doing!

JB said...

Brian is the man! Congrats on doing so well! I wish I could hear them.

Laura said...

You win the prize for the most ADORABLE pictures in the world. Holy schmoly!! What a beautiful family! Oh how I miss you! I love you guys!

"All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players: They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts" ...and in the wings of my stage, there is music.