Sunday, August 29, 2010

a meaty lunch topic

Today, while Elliott and I were eating lunch together and Lily was already napping he asked,

"Why did Heavenly Father want His Son to die for us?"

As I swallowed my last bite of hot dog I told him in the simplest words I could find to explain the Atonement to a 4 year old, that Heavenly Father wants all of his children to be able to come back to live with him again, but Heavenly Father is perfect so we need to be very righteous and good to go back to him. He knew that we would make mistakes but also had a plan that we would be able to repent. But in order for us to be able to repent, there needed to be a perfect person offered as a sacrifice and Jesus said, I will go and die to pay the price for their sins. Because Jesus sacrificed his life for us, we can become clean through repentance and return to live with Heavenly Father.

Elliott thought about that for a moment and seemed satisfied. Then he started talking to me about superheros again. =) love that boy!

"All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players: They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts" ...and in the wings of my stage, there is music.