Wednesday, November 24, 2010

potty humor

My nearly 4.5 year old boy still needs to wear a Pull Up at night. This is pretty normal for boys. I'm not worried. Pull-ups, however, are pricey and I can't wait to stop buying them! One night I said to Elliott, "If you keep your pull-up dry for 3 nights in a row, I'll buy you a new toy!" As soon as I said it, I knew I shouldn't have because I know that he isn't capable. He is a very sound sleeper. Elliott was very motivated at the thought of a new toy and went to the potty 3 times before bed. At about midnight that night, I decided I would try to go wake him to take him to the potty 1 more time before I went to bed. I've had some friends tell me they've had success from doing this.

"Elliott....Elliott....wanna go potty?"

He did a slight nod but with his eyes still closed.

I dragged him out of bed and half carried him to the bathroom. He was very sleepy. I put the toilet lid up and pulled down his pajamas for him. Then he pushed me away so I stepped away and was about to head out the door to give him some privacy but I looked back just in time to see him, as if in slow motion, lean forward and collapse into toilet bowl. He was ASLEEP and I'd just let his arms fall into the toilet!

I couldn't contain my cackling as I picked him up and moved him over to the sink to wash his hands. I tried not to worry too much about germs. Thankfully, I had just scrubbed the toilet that afternoon. I continued laughing hysterically to myself as I washed his hands and I saw that he was resting his chin on the sink ledge and his eyes were still closed. He was smiling though...he could hear me laughing.

The next morning I asked him if he remembered falling into the toilet in the middle of the night and he had no idea what I was talking about!

It looks like I'm going to be buying those pull-ups for another little while yet. A boy who doesn't wake up when he falls into the toilet, won't wake up to go to the toilet!

3 comments:

Jenn said...

Hahaha! What a cute story that is sure to embarrass him when he's older! I love that he was smiling in his sleep.

happyfamily said...

Camille broke herself of the pullup at night habit, but we just made Grace stop wearing them when she turned 5 last week. Since then, there have been only 2 dry nights. I'm thankful that she sleeps on the bottom bunk.

We tried that buy a new toy trick too... let me know when you figure out the perfect motivator!

Miss L said...

Miss O, who is also 4.5, still wears night pull-ups because she, too, is a zombie once asleep. Every so often, we will put her in underpants with plastic pants over them and every night she's in that crazy getup, she still never wakes up. One day, I figure, she'll won't be wearing the pull-ups...but then again, there's a reason they go all the way up to 7-9 year old sizes. Ugh. ANYWAY! Let's just hope E and O don't take that long. :)

"All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players: They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts" ...and in the wings of my stage, there is music.