Sunday, November 6, 2011

mom shoes

I am in the market for a new pair of shoes. Well actually I'd really like about 3 new pairs but I think 1 might have to do. For the past 2 years my "oh man I have to wear actual socks and shoes because it's cold out" has been a pair of brown suede sketchers. side note: You never see models wearing those, have you ever noticed how models our age always are wearing ballet flats with their winter clothes? What about when it's 30 degrees outside? You might be willing to shiver for style but I'll pick the socks and shoes. Ballet flats have their time and place and I love them but seeing as how we got over an inch of snow this weekend, their time has passed for me. Anyway, back to my brown suede shoes. They got the job done of running my mommy errands for 2 fall/winters in NC where it didn't snow so much. But they have had it.

Maybe it's time for some boots? I've had boots, you know black ones you can buy at Kohls for $45 and wear with jeans or skirts and they last about one and a half winters before the heel breaks/comes unglued. Anyone else?

I'm thinking about investing in a pair of Keen or Merrell boots. Has anyone else ever bought these? Are they awesome and durable enough to justify spending four times as much?

More importantly, I'm writing this shallow, vainglorious post because I am seriously curious what is your winter time Mom shoe solution? What do you wear in the wintertime? Do you buy one pair of boots for your snowing, errand running days, and another for your cuter night out/Sunday needs? Do you hate boots and wear normal shoes and hope the snow doesn't go up to your ankles? Do you make the rest of us moms at Target look bad by being all cute in your ballet flats in December?

9 comments:

Jenny said...

I have bought three pairs of Keens--they are expensive but they are good shoes. But I don't know if they're good enough to justify the price.... I haven't bought a lot of expensive shoes, though, to compare.

happyfamily said...

I like those Keen boots, although I don't know that I would like wearing tall boots every day.

I personally wear flip flops- but that's a matter of locale I suppose. :)

I was trying to remember what I wore at BYU and I think it was usually a pair of fake uggs. You can't beat those for warmth and ease, but they sure are ugly!

jeniferkarianne said...

1. Ok, I would get a pair of boots for the snow. Whether you want to get a cheap pair, and wear them one or two winters before they wear out, or invest in a pair of Keen or Merrill, that's your choice! :)

2. Get a pair of ballet flats. I have some in tan, black, and red. They are very useful, even in the winter. Don't wear them in the snow, but you can pair them with cute argyle socks if it's below 40 degrees! I think mine are Kenneth Cole, and I got them for about $30 at DSW.

3. Get a pair of boots that are cute, that would be acceptable in the snow, but not ideally for the snow. I personally like the booties...ankle boots. I have a pair in black and brown (although my black are about to die...and both are suede, so that TOTALLY defeats the point).

All in all, just go to DSW. Drag Lily along with you. Kids have a great eye. Plus, you can instill the love of shopping in her, early. LOL! I know you don't have tons of time...but if you go every month or two, and look in the sale rack, you can find some amazing deals, and never have to pay full price.

Good luck! Post what you get!!

Jenn said...

Madelyn, you took the words right out of my mouth. I have the same conundrum every winter. And every year, I end up going through the whole season hating my options. I currently have a pair of good old fashioned snow boots (not cute boots, but real snow boots) that I love, but they are heavy and hard to drive in so they're not great for running errands, even in the snow. If you figure out a solution to the cute but warm winter shoe problem, I am all ears!

Jenn said...

And P.S. - those new pictures of your kids (on the sidebar) are wonderful!

Colleen said...

I have had one pair of Dansko closed-heel clogs for about 9 years and they have NOT worn out! Stylish and good in the snow. About $100 but for 10 years that's not bad! It's my one pair of winter shoes.

KevandChels said...

haha! Soudns like we all have the same issue! I think I finally solved mine. I got a GREAT pair of boots at the REI attic sale (some places call it the garage sale but it's when they have already used stuff that's been returned for super cheap) that have been totally awesome. i think i would totally buy them again at full price if i hadn't found them for a steal (I think I got them for $40, so I think it's worth looking into the attic sale or ebay, etc. anywho...) They are the waterproof Polartec Merrell brown boots ( i think they come in black too) with tabby things on the back. they really are awesome. i can go trapsing through mud and water and then let it dry and it just knocks off and they look great again. i have worn them with jeans, nicer pants and with wintery skirts to church. they rock! how do you like my testimonial?

Miss L said...

I have to warn you, I am not fashion forward at all these days, but here's my $.02.

Oh...You should also know that I fell when I was 21 and broke my wrist walking home when it was snowing/sleeting outside, so I am basically a coward when it comes to winter weather.

I have some actual snow boots that are lined, which go up mid-calf that I normally shovel the driveway in, and in a pinch, if we have to drive to church or whatever, I will wear them with a denim skirt and socks. But more often than not, when there is winter ice/snow on the ground, I pull out my Doc Martins and wear them with socks/tights. I have 2 pair and they still have amazing traction. They were expensive at the time, but they were a conservative style back in the day 13 years ago and still work. So, I'm all for finding a good shoe that feels reliable and paying whatever it's worth if it makes you feel secure (and bonus if it makes you feel pretty!). Good luck!!!

Sarah said...

This is totally off topic, but I have been searching all over for the last 15 minutes trying to find your email address so I could ask you what your physical address is. I have a Christmas card for you!! :) So if you could email me your email address AND physical address, that would be great! :)

"All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players: They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts" ...and in the wings of my stage, there is music.