Thursday, April 11, 2013

Wednesday conversations with my children


Me:  Elliott, do you remember how you used to talk about animals and science all the time? 
E:  Yes.
Me:  Well I sure miss hearing all your knowledge about animals.  Don't you still like animals?  It seems like all you talk about is weapons and war games.
E:  Well mom, it's just that I'm more interested in AK 47s right now. 
Me:  Hmmmm that makes me sad. 
E:  *long pause*....Well soldiers rode horses in battle. 
Me:  *trying not to laugh at his sincere effort to please me by talking about horses, while still talking about fighting related things*  You're right...I wonder what type of horses they were. 
E:  Yeah like George Washington's horse....
Me:  Well horses have to poop.  Wouldn't bad soldiers looking for the good guys just look for their trail of horse poop and find them? 
E:  Hmmmm.  I guess that's where the dung beetles come in!


and later, when I was ahem, full of dinner, and ahem, not exhibiting good posture....Lily looked at me and said, "Mom I think you're going to have a baby."  GASP!  Straightaway I stood up straight, sucked my gut in and said, "No I'm not!  See!"  All of a sudden the 5 minutes of killer ab exercises at the gym I'd put myself through that morning seemed inadequate....

Oh the perks of being a mother! 

1 comment:

Jenny said...

It sounds like you've got great kids! I like that you brought up the horse poop :)

"All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players: They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts" ...and in the wings of my stage, there is music.