Sunday, July 7, 2013

Once upon a time

Once upon a time...back in January...I got an alumni email from Roosevelt University asking for submissions, in 500 words or less, of our first date, if we are still with our Roosevelt Sweetheart.  Although I met my Sweetheart before I'd ever heard of Roosevelt University, I thought I still had a good story I could tell.  After a few weeks passed for alums to submit their entries, the results were emailed out to all alumni on Valentine's Day, and I was the winner!  My story will be published in the Fall alumni magazine.  I'll put a link up when it comes out...assuming they put it online...I'm not sure it is...but if not, I'll scan in the hard copy. 

Anyway, in addition to getting it published, they sent me $100.  A welcome gift, for an unemployed family, I knew immediately what I wanted to do with it.  I called the community rec center and registered Elliott in a hip hop class.  He was very excited when I told him.  Elliott is a good dancer and loves watching you tube videos of the hip hop stars from So You Think You Can Dance. He loves "robot dancing" and tries to pop and lock with his bony little chicken arms.  I'll never forget the morning of his first hip hop class.  I was driving him to school and he said to me, "Mom, you don't have spend the hundred dollars on my hip hop class, you can use it to buy groceries."   My heart melted.  He meant it.  "No sweetie.  I could spend it on groceries but I want this money to mean something.  I'll never forget getting to put you in hip hop."  I was so excited to watch him have a great time that night, I snuck a few pictures. 
 

 
 
 
Unfortunately, the teacher of the class was not fantastic.  It seemed like Elliott didn't learn very much.  If Elliott wants to take dance again, I'd definitely take him to a dance studio next time.    I actually missed his very last class, the one where they performed, very informally, the only routine they learned.  I was out of town at my brother's wedding, but Brian recorded it on his phone for me.
 

Here is the link if you want to see it:
 
 
 
Anyway, even though Elliott inexplicably protested going to class some days, I know he always had a good time when he got there, and it brought a huge smile to my face to see him bustin' a move. 

1 comment:

Colleen Shaffer said...

He did a great job! And what a sweetie about the groceries.

"All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players: They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts" ...and in the wings of my stage, there is music.