While most of my mommy friends have caught the running bug and my Facebook news feed seems filled with public declarations of commitments to “my first mud run” or “my first half marathon” or “my 13th marathon,” this Spring, I embarked on a marathon of my own making.
Unlike most of my mommy friends, I have been obsessed with possible answers to the question I find myself asking constantly, “What am I going to do when I grow up?” Lest I be misunderstood, I love being a mom to my two perfect, wonderful children, Elliott and Lily. I am SO glad I have been home with them. No one can take care of your child like you can. For me, handing an infant over to childcare workers every day would have felt really sad. That being said, my children are not infants anymore. They’ll always need me, every kid needs their mom, but they no longer depend on me, every moment of every day, like an infant does.
At this point you might also be saying to yourself, ‘But Madelyn, what do you mean, what are you going to do? You play the French horn! You’ve gotten to do so many cool things!’ and I’d say, “You’re so right! A seemingly inconsequential choice I made when I was 11, to agree to play that ‘extra French horn’ in the band room’s closet has given me everything that I have today, 18 years later. I have gone to a famous boarding school to study horn (and that decision eventually brought me a husband and 2 great kids!), I have toured Europe (twice), I have studied with one of the greatest horn players who has ever lived, I have played alongside my husband in his orchestras, recorded video game soundtracks, performed on live TV maybe 30 times, recorded cds and PBS Christmas specials, and gone on a tour with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. I have, at times, been extremely helpful in supplementing my family’s income through teaching private lessons and coaching sectionals. It has been great.” And yet....for about 3 years now, I’ve constantly pondered what it is I want to do....
And at this point, you might be saying to yourself, ‘Madelyn, I thought you were going to tell me about a marathon.’ Yes, I was just getting to that. This Spring I decided to pick a direction and take a step forward. In early June, I took the Law School Admissions Test. That was my finish line. But my friends don’t run marathons just for the finish lines do they? It’s all the hours of pounding the pavement they put in to be able to cross that finish line that makes the experience meaningful...
part 2 coming tomorrow

2 comments:
Wow! What a cliffhanger! I can't wait to hear more.
Wow! I want to hear more too! :)
Post a Comment