Monday, July 8, 2013

My Marathon, part 2

I was very noncommittal at first.  I checked out an LSAT prep book from the library, even fearing the librarian checking out the book to me would make some snide comment to which I would cry out, "You're right!  What am I thinking?!  I'm too old!  Too dumb!  Nevermind!  I don't want it!"  But no comment was made and when I got home I stealthily watched the dvd that came taped in a sleeve in the cover of the book.  The dvd explained what the lsat was about, and I was intrigued. Intrigued and scared at the thought of trying to wake up my brain, nearly 7 years post-academia, to try to learn new tricks. But I thought it might be fun to try. This was March 30. The first day of training for my “marathon”.


At first, I spent an hour, or less, 4 or 5 days a week working through the book. I lightly made pencil marks (scandalous in a library book!), continually humbled by my ability to spend half an hour reading the “this is how you do this type of question” pages only to spend an inordinate amount of time on 5 practice questions applying the newfound knowledge, and in the end, missing most of them. Multiple choice tests were never my strong point, and this was continuing to be the case. And yet I found myself coming back for more, day after day. My brain was loving the work out!


Quickly I realized that if I was really going to take the test on June 10, I needed to take ‘training’ a little more seriously. Waiting for a quiet, calm, uninterrupted hour in my day, which wouldn’t happen until about 10pm, was not effective. I was too tired to learn something so new and hard. Also, one hour a day was not going to be enough.


I felt prepared to make a change in my ‘training’ schedule. You see, starting last summer, I began a new habit of waking up before my family, heading downstairs to the kitchen table, and studying my scriptures. I found that when the house was quiet and still, and my mind fresh, I got a lot more out of my Bible study. With my journal and pen in hand, uninterrupted for even just 15 minutes a day, my life changed. I became fortified to withstand the whirlwind that would uproot my family that winter....but I digress.


I knew I could get up even earlier, to spend time studying lsat stuff after scriptures. So most days, I got up at 6 and would come down to the table and read and then continue working through the prep book until about 7:10, when Elliott would start getting ready for school. Eventually I felt able to utilize short chunks of time in my day for studying. I guess by warming up my brain in the morning, I was able to jump back into my book for just a few minutes at a time, while waiting for the washer to stop, or the meat to thaw, or time to pick up Elliott from school.


Life didn’t just stop, because I was training for my “marathon.” During this time I completed a Parenting with Love and Logic course through the school district. I taught horn lessons.  I went to Las Vegas for my brother's wedding.  There was homework to monitor, dinner to make, and laundry to fold, just like always. What I did have to let go of was “extras”. Before beginning studying, I looked forward to unwinding each night watching a favorite tv show...or two. My in-laws bought a new tv and a month literally passed before I watched a show on it for the first time. And it was hard to let myself spend the time to watch a half hour of my favorite show. No movies, no redbox, and limited facebook. Because I had a mission. I had a purpose. I had embarked on an intellectual quest and I would not be bothered by my usual vices. And I was happy.


Eventually the renewal limit was reached on my library’s lsat book. I had gone through the whole book, and then bought a big, white eraser to dutifully erase all my markings. And yet I still wasn’t sure if I could take the lsat. I wasn’t sure I should spend the money. $160, just in case you were wondering. (I hear it’s gone up to $165 now.) I wasn’t sure I could be ready. I still felt very, very inadequate. I needed more practice, more hours, more time. 
 
We had some friends from down the street over for dessert one night and my father-in-law mentioned to them that I had been studying for the lsat. Both my friend April, and her husband, who is an attorney, were SO SUPPORTIVE. Really, their support and encouragement helped me feel confident enough to sign up for the lsat that night after they left. I also ordered my own study books. I was committed. 
 
Part 3 tomorrow....

2 comments:

Emma said...

How exciting. I can't wait for part 3.

Jenn said...

Madelyn, you tease! I want to hear the rest of the story!

Seriously, I am thrilled for you to be having this adventure. You are so smart and so dedicated, there is no doubt in my mind that you can make it into (and through) law school, if that's what you want to do. Way to go, girl!

"All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players: They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts" ...and in the wings of my stage, there is music.