Monday, January 12, 2009

Dairy Queen

I wish I were a Dairy Queen, aka a mommy who made more than enough milk for her baby! I swore if breastfeeding were as difficult this time around, I would quit and use formula without any guile. Well it's just as difficult and I'm trying desperately to not give up! I've taken Lily back to the lactation nurses at the hospital twice now. She has an excellent latch but a very weak suck. The weak suck has made it so that I don't have enough milk and therefore she's not getting enough and not gaining enough weight. Curses! Why couldn't this be easy like I planned? =)

On Friday I rented a hospital grade pump and began pumping after every feeding. I also started taking a drug called Reglan that increases milk supply. I was suffering horrible side effects: sleepy yet sleepless, dizzy, and just out of it. I'm not taking that anymore. There's another drug I can take, domperidone, that would do the same but not have the horrible side effects but guess what, they don't really make it in the US anymore. So I just ordered some from Canada for the love! Meanwhile, I'm supplementing Lily with a bottle of the milk I've pumped and/or formula. As if recovering from surgery and taking care of a house and a toddler weren't enough. It takes about an hour to nurse her, give her a bottle, change her, burp her, and pump. It's enough to cause a melt down. Not quitting yet not quitting yet not quitting yet not quitting yet And if you're wondering why I haven't run out to buy herbal stuff, it's because fenugreek is from the same family as peanuts, which I'm deathly allergic to. I don't need to be ingesting lots of potential allergens.

All you mommies who make enough milk on your own give thanks! I really hope this starts getting better soon. I hate that I would feel like such a failure if I gave up. I should be grateful that me not wanting to feel like a failure equals health benefits for Lily.

7 comments:

Kerolann said...

I know how you feel Madelyn--I haven't ever made enough milk either. You really are a saint for trying to pump so much-both you and Lily will be blessed. Don't feel too guilty supplementing with formula--she will be ok. All my kids have nursed and then gotten formula to fill them up the rest of the way, and they all seem smart and healthy. My lactation lady in Omaha said that oats/oatmeal is a food that helps increase your milk supply, so you could try that too. Good luck! You are a great mom!

Miss L said...

Bless your heart! See??? You are not alone. I formula supplemented with Miss A and now I'm also supplementing with Miss Q (though I had enough for Miss E and Miss O...go figure!). And I've always had to pump with each one at some point.

Anyway, I totally agree with Kerolann: Oatmeal--even cookies! (so much oatmeal I've eaten! Ugh) and also grape juice (white or "red") are helpful, as well as sleeping, which I know is hard.

This round with Miss Q, I'm much more "full" in the mornings, so she just nurses but by "lunch" she nurses then gets 3-4 oz and then nurses until bedtime, when I nurse her one last time and then tank her up with 4 more oz. The key is to try to nurse before the bottle, but Miss Q has figured out that the bottle is so much easier, so I had to start nursing her about half hour before the bottle, just to offset things. Ugh. She's five months, so we are going to be starting solids very soon, which will also help.

ANYWAY!!!! Long story, short: You are not alone and you ARE doing awesome! Keep up the good work.

Emma said...

I wish you the best. I am one of the blessed ones that doesn't have to supplement, so I don't know what it's like. I know you are not alone, and you want to do what it best for you and your baby. Don't feel guilty for doing your best. hugs!

Adrienne said...

And angel pie, if in the end, she is a formula baby, she will be okay!! And so will you. Because you know you honestly did all she could, and you're doing the best for your baby, either way. And she will definitely still be all the smart, gorgeous, talented things she is destined to be. And you're sleep deprived and recovering from that C-section. If your emotions are whacked, that's just what they are, WHACKED, and it's not your mommy sense telling you you suck. We all know you're amazing. Whatever the books say, YOU know what your babe needs. End of story.

Miss L said...

Yeah, what Adrienne said, too!!! :) (ps. I was formula fed--actually rice water and various other things because I was horrifically allergic to the formulas back in the day--and I think I turned out fairly okay! :))

Carolyn said...

I have honestly come to feel that whatever is best for mommy is best for the baby. I hope that you are able to continue breastfeeding because it is such a wonderful bonding experience and the nutritional benefits are substantial.

But I also feel that you can make up for both "lost" bonding and "lost" nutrition. And if formula is better for you, in the long run it will be much much better for your baby.

Nothing made me a better mom than choosing to supplement one bottle of formula a day for Soren at 3 months. No joke.

Janina Herbert said...

I have been having the same problem, too. You are a SUPERWOMAN for trying so many things to feed your little Lily. Just know that you aren't alone, adn that you are AMAZING! You will be blessed for your righteous efforts :):) PS - I need your phone # again.... :/ Then I WILL call you, I promise! Love you!

"All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players: They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts" ...and in the wings of my stage, there is music.