Sunday, May 24, 2009

blessings

It's been a while since I've blogged. Boo. I've wanted to. I've started several posts in my head, but most of the time I sit at the computer, there's a baby on my lap and I hate typing one handed. It's finally gotten warm here in St. Louis and I'm having a hard time adjusting to being hot! Sitting in front of the computer sweating in our hot upstairs just makes me crazy! Alas, I will sit briefly to tell you about the 2 biggest blessings our family has received lately.

1) Brian bought an additional horn. It's called a descant horn. It's shorter/smaller so it makes the high notes easier to play--a very important thing for a soon to be principal horn player. We were so blessed to find a great one for a very reasonable price! Really, it's hard to explain, but it's pretty miraculous how it all worked out for Brian to be able to buy this horn. It's a specialty thing, he'll still mostly play his normal horn but this high horn is a MUST for some of the pieces programmed next season in Raleigh. He's glad to have it in his arsenal.

2) We have a place to live when we move! We were crunching numbers and realized that for Brian and I to fly from TX to Raleigh and rent a car for 5 days in August to stay with friends and search for a place to live was going to cost about $700. That's a lot. Lucky for us, a house has fallen right into our laps. Brian's aunt and uncle live and work in Japan and know a couple there who own a house in a nice suburb of Raleigh. When they were telling them about our family moving to that area they said, "Well they should just rent our house!" So we are going to do it! They sent us some pictures but besides that, we'll be moving in, sight unseen, in September. We told them what we could afford to pay and they graciously said that would be fine, even though their house/neighborhood/location is obviously worth more than what we can afford. It's a unique situation because most all of their belongings are still in the house. We think that it will work out fine, we were planning on selling most of our furniture anyway, we're so tired of moving it. We're excited. I did wonder if I was crazy, saying I'd move into a house I've never seen in a city I've never been to, but we felt like this house was a direct blessing from the Lord. Just like the horn, just like Brian's jobs, well okay everything in our lives is a blessing from above. And the air conditioner just came on! Ahhhhh life is good.

9 comments:

jeniferkarianne said...

Wow! That's a great house! Congratulations!

happyfamily said...

Yeah, as long as you're down with living in the 'burbs I don't think that you can go wrong living in a house that looks like that. Congrats- movin' on up!

Unknown said...

I'm so glad that everything is working out for you! Cute house, by the way. I can totally see you guys staying there!

acandiedapple said...

We're doing the same thing in Columbus. We've seen picture of the house but not in person. I'm sure it will be great. Congrats!

peterfam said...

Congratulations on the descant horn, the principal horn position and the house! Sounds very exciting. Lucy and I just got together last week. She is staying the summer in DC but lives in Durham.

aurora said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
aurora said...

{typo above...}
Congratulations on all of your wonderful news! I mean blessings! xo

Dan Heintz said...

I was in North Carolina two years ago on tour and really liked it a lot. (Just remember to call it "slaw" and not "cole slaw"--I was verbally chastised for making that mistake.) Be sure to take time to visit western NC after you move out there--it's a beautiful area! Congratulations!!

Krista said...

Oh, That is so great (the house) Madelyn! And about the descant horn, WOW!! I'm very happy for you and your blessings. You guys deserve it!

"All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players: They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts" ...and in the wings of my stage, there is music.