Thursday, May 7, 2009

civic duty

At the end of my block, someone is about to reopen a bar that closed a few years ago. Apparently, there has been a bar on the corner for a LONG time. My grandmother-aged neighbor grew up in her house and she's been going to that restaurant/bar since she and her husband were dating. The corner bar is not very far from my front door. It would be about the distance a suburban house and yard would take up from me to the bar. The bar has applied for a liquor license and part of the process is a petition for the neighbors to sign, or not, to help officials decide if the liquor license should be granted. This week in the mail I got a letter from the bar's lawyers asking me to sign the letter (in favor) and mail it back. This has created a small moral dilemma for me. Just because I choose not to drink, doesn't mean I believe I should impose my beliefs on others. Who am I to stop someone from opening their small business? However, I don't want the noise and parking issues that would come with the customers. And seeing as how someone close to me recently drove drunk and killed a couple on her way home from a bar...I think about things like this a differently. Maybe I have the wrong impression. Maybe this is a more family friendly place that will happen to serve alcohol? Should that matter? What would you do? Take my poll.

6 comments:

Shari said...

I would vote no! When Wyandotte Co had their vote on gambling everyone at church was encouraged (I believe by the First Presidency) to vote in this matter, and were reminded of the Church's stand on gambling. Just because you vote no doesn't mean that people will drink less...they will just drink elsewhere. You have little kids that can be effected by the atmosphere. There would be noise at all hours of the night, and people smoking in the parking lot. People do stupid things when they're drunk, and that is just too close to you!

If you're the only one to vote no, then it won't make any difference...but you could be the deciding vote cast to make it not a tie. That would make a difference.

peterfam said...

Vote aginst it! (At least here in Philadelphia) there are pleny of people who don't drink responsibly and can do all kinds of damage, get in fights or whatever. You dont want to live right by that.

acandiedapple said...

I would vote no, but I think even if it was an Applebees I would vote no. I think the noise and parking issues are enough to want to avoid that. Even if there aren't people smoking or drinking outside the building it will still be busier in general.

Miss L said...

I'd vote no, too. I wouldn't want it near my family or other people's family. It does something to a neighborhood and I agree with Shari, people do stupid things when they are drunk. Yes indeed, I'd vote no.

Unknown said...

I would vote no. After hearing about your cousin, and my own personal experience with drunk drivers, there is no way I would want a bar so close to my house. Like what Shari said, people are going to drink regardless of how you vote. But voting no keeps that further from your home and neighborhood. Noise, parking, crime, etc....you don't want that around!

jeniferkarianne said...

I am not going to say what I think because I can say points on both sides. I would say leave religion out of it, and decide based on the lifestyle, and clientle it will bring. Maybe more traffic, maybe not. Maybe it's a great place for families...I mean, even Chuck E Cheese serves alcohol. Maybe it's not. I think you'll know best! :)

"All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players: They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts" ...and in the wings of my stage, there is music.