
How I potty trained my boy on Day 1 of "for real this time, potty training": I don't know. Ask him. He did it himself. The Spiderman underpants were pretty magical. I am so stinkin' proud of my boy! It's been 10 days and only 7 accidents. Total. He's 2 months shy of his third birthday. My sister-in-law always told me, "Wait long enough and he'll train himself." I'm sure this isn't true for every child but since my boy and her boy are cousins, I hoped it would be true for Elliott. Of course this big achievement took place immediately after I opened a new case of diapers. Of course. But who cares?! I've spent so many hundreds of dollars on diapers, what's another $13.65 (Target brand)? Another great thing is that Elliott initiates it on his own. But if you know Elliott, you know you can't really tell him to do anything, so going to the potty must seem like his idea. If I feel like he needs a reminder I say, "Are you keeping your underpants dry?" "YEESSS!" Then a minute later he runs to the bathroom. And he has his own method of sitting on the potty. He climbs on, putting his feet on the toilet seat, and then scoots around until his bum is all the way at the back of the seat. So weird. I've never heard of another kid sitting on the very back of the seat with legs streched out on the seat. He's only fallen in a few times. I'm so glad he figured it all out in record time. I think he was probably ready a while ago, but I wasn't ready. Wasn't ready to clean up messes and worry about it all the time. Thankfully, I've been pleasantly surprised at the potty training experience! Don't worry, I'm sure I'll pay my dues with Lily in a few years.
Ironically, I did skim the book, "How to Potty Train in Just One Day!" but didn't do anything she said to (the potty party/doll method).
2 comments:
Hmmm, well self-trained or not, take some credit, my friend. That is HUGE!
That's great!!! Do you have that seat on the toilet for small bums? ;) It works great and they don't fall in!
Post a Comment