I had a nice Mother's Day! My mom was in town this weekend to visit and hear Brian's concert so I was actually with my mom on mother's day. It's been 8 years since we've been in the same place on Mother's Day. Brian made us homemade, from scratch, cinnamon rolls. Yum! I don't know what could say I love and appreciate you better than that!
My unforgettable mommy moment of the day today was when Elliott and I snuggled on the couch and he fell asleep with my arms around him. I don't know if he's ever fallen asleep right next to me before. It was awesome! So sweet! I love my boy so much. He is such an affectionate boy. I cherish that because I know it's only a matter of time before kissing your mom is not cool.
Lily is rolling now and yesterday when I was sitting next to her in the back seat of the car, she did a new sort of talking she'd never done before. It was somewhere in between a cooing/gurgling sound and a babbling sound. I love the baby milestones! They come so often! Every couple of days she does something new.
Something I never thought about before becoming a parent was what lullaby I would sing my babies. I think Brian and I just sort of picked the first one that came to mind and we've been consistently singing those since we became parents. Brian sings Brahms' Lullaby and I sing a song from our church's children's song book called "I Often Go Walking." It's a sweet and simple song that's actually about mothers. I remember my mom humming it often.
O mother, I give you my love with each flower To give forth sweet fragrance a whole lifetime through; For if I love blossoms and meadows and walking, I learn how to love them, dear mother, from you.
Words: Phyllis Luch Music: Jeanne P. Lawler
Even though it's supposed to be a child singing to his mother, I replace "Mother" with my kids' names. What lullabyes do you sing?
I love being a mom to my sweet babies. Nothing has brought me more joy than caring for these sweet children God has given me to love and teach. Even though this afternoon I said to Brian, "I wish I could go to work today instead of you!" when Elliott was having a terrible twos moment, I really do know that this is the season of my life when I am lucky to be home with my babies. I've got the rest of my life to play and teach music and my babies won't be babies much longer.


3 comments:
Oh you are a great mother. I think you know this, but Gabbie's song is "Yellow Submarine" by the Beatles. As much as we pushed for church songs, nothing calmed her but that. And so when she sang it as loud as she could during the sacrament prayer on Sunday, I knew to her, she was just trying to share. Kind of. She's also a tad of a stinker, but ah well.
You are such a cute mom! I absolutely love this post. I totally know what you mean about wanting to go to work instead of your husband... I always sing "Baby Mine" from Dumbo or the lullaby from Lady and the Tramp. Have you ever heard "2 little boys"?? James loves that one too. I could go on and on. My mom passed on a great legacy of songs. I hope you had a great mother's day. Love you Maddy! -Laura
Motherhood is great (and I sometimes wish I could go to work and Alex stay home. I think it should be allowed. I think I would better appreciate what he does for us, and I KNOW he would better appreciate what I do for us).
I sing "Two Little Hands" to my boys. My mom uses it for he kids and grandkids. She'd sing it when they had their hands together and then stop when they took them apart. Soon the baby would put their hands together when they heard the song...This was intended to get them "fold their arms" for prayers. Genius!
With 3, it didn't work quite as well. If one had their hands together, and I sang...there were 2 more that didn't have hands together when hearing the song. So they wouldn't learn to associate it. I'll try it with the next one. But it's still very soothing for them. Even Alex has learned the words, because he recognizes the effect. They also like "You are my Sunshine" and "Give said the Little Stream" (my favorites).
Post a Comment