Tuesday, November 24, 2009

D.C. stands for Darn Cool

A couple days after our Charlotte trip, we braved hurricanish wind and rain to drive 4.5 hours north and ended up in Washington, D.C. We were charting new territory, as neither Brian nor I had ever been there, and it was exciting! I can't remember the last time I felt that happy. The thrill of discovering a famous city on foot and on subway is what I thrive on. We pricelined a hotel smack dab in the heart of things by the FBI building and the Spy Museum, paid a fortune to park the car in the hotel garage, and walked for 3 days. The kids, bless their hearts, were SO GOOD! That really made all the difference. We were able to see so much with their cooperation including:

  • The National Archives, highlights: Declaration, Constitution, Bill of Rights, Magna Carta
  • American History Museum, highlights: the ruby slippers, Kermit the frog, the actual Star Spangled Banner that Francis Scott Key was looking at when he wrote the national anthem (I think that was my favorite thing I saw the whole trip), Julia Child's kitchen
  • National Zoo, highlights: pandas, a baby gorilla the same age as Lily. It was fascinating to watch her interact with her mom.

(that's not the baby gorilla, couldn't get a good picture of that quick thing)
  • Air and Space Museum: the actual Wright brothers' plane, the Spirit of St. Louis, Earheart's plane she flew transatlantic, some space stuff (Columbia or Apollo or some famous stuff)
  • Natural History Museum: lots of dinosaurs all put together, a fascinating exhibit on soil, a balene whale skull skeleton, a random local group singing sea chanties, the Hope diamond, the most fascinating gems and crystals and quartz rocks
  • Dinner at "America" in union Station
  • a quick stop in the National Portrait Gallery just to see portraits of Joseph Smith and Brigham Young
  • Lincoln Memorial, WW II memorial, Washington Monument, White House
  • Meeting up with Laura P., another Interlochen Alum, and her husband
  • totally conquering the Metro system with 2 strollers
I can't wait to go back. When can we go back?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I want to go with you next time! :)

"All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players: They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts" ...and in the wings of my stage, there is music.