Thursday, December 3, 2009

bad carma

A few weeks ago I was thinking about how it's almost been 1 year since my car accident. I was drafting a blog post in my head about how our family has fared with only 1 car since then, how my neck pain and stiffness is finally SO much better, except for when it rains a lot, how I still have a severe distrust of other drivers on the road around me, assuming constantly that they are about to hit me. A few days after I was thinking about all this, Brian was in a car accident. He was turning left on an unprotected left green light and didn't see the car coming into the intersection and it hit him. Thankfully Brian was by himself, he was completely fine, and his horn was fine.

It was a stressful afternoon, figuring out how Brian was going to get to work for his concert a couple hours later, and how I was going to get to where the car was towed to get the car seats out of it. It all worked out just fine with the help of our neighbor and a colleague. The next day we got a rental car, which our insurance pays for. Due to Thanksgiving and the body shop being busy, we just found out yesterday that our beloved "Sportback" is totalled. So sad. We're still in denial. That was our first car we bought right after Elliott was born. We have so many fun memories of all the trips we've been on in that car. It's been a great car for us.

So now we have no car. They're giving us enough money to pay off what we still owed on it, and a little bit more. While the prideful part of us wants to skip off to CarMax and buy a new beauty, justifying it by telling ourselves, we could get a monthly payment that would hardly be any more than our monthly payment on the Sportback has been, we've decided the wiser thing to do is to take my parents up on their way- too- generous offer of giving us one of their cars. (Sorry teenage brothers, your mom has just given away your car to your "independent" older sister.) So now we'll have a free car! We can put our monthly car payment toward saving up for a new car/paying down debt. Woohoo! Dave Ramsey would be so proud. So now we just have to hire a transport company to get the car here from Texas and pay for a rental car until that car gets here.

When I prayed a few weeks ago that God would help us to live more frugally, wrecking our car wasn't what I had in mind. But, I know that as we try to do what our church leaders have asked, we will be blessed and it will all work out.

2 comments:

Emma said...

I'm so sorry about the car. Glad you are all safe. It's funny how the Lord blesses us. I often pray for patience and the Lord provides opportunities for my patience to be tried. Maybe someday I'll learn!

Unknown said...

I'm glad you guys are ok! Did you get Grandma's old car?

"All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players: They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts" ...and in the wings of my stage, there is music.