One of the most memorable trees I remember seeing was last year in Chicago in Marshall Fields. In the middle of the beautiful Walnut room, there was the most enormous tree you've ever seen indoors decorated with little Madeline dolls! So unique.
How do you light the tree at your house? Multi-colored or Single Colored Lights? Blinking? Still? Chasing? Do you use ribbon winding all the way up the tree? Popcorn? I have never strung popcorn. Tinsel? Matching ornaments? Homemade? Well I've got to go, we're decorating our tree now!

8 comments:
This is really sad but we haven't had a tree in the five years we've been married. This year we decided to do it on the cheap. I bought a $7.00 4 ft tree at a thrift store. It is a pretty ugly 'shrub' as Jason calls it but I think it is rather fun. It has white lights and tacky silver garland. I haven't put ornaments on it because Calder keeps removing them. I think I'll make some out of felt here shortly so he can play with them.
Did you read the American Girl Doll books growing up? In Molly's Christmas, her older sister wants to do a patriotic themed tree with all matching ornaments. Molly wanted to use the ornaments they had always used. I think BECAUSE I identified with Molly and don't like themed trees. Luckily, Brad feels the same way.
We have a white strand AND a color strand of lights on our tree! The ornaments are sort-of matchy, but not really :) I think we are going for the get-a-new-ornament-each-year thing. I have never strung popcorn either, but we might do it this year! And Jenny - I LOVED the American Girl books when I was little! Fun times.
We have a new ornament each year (one that has to do with something significant that happened that year). We have a wreath with a ring hanging from it and a boy on one side and a girl on the other side for the year we were engaged, and so on from there. Our ornaments are a mixture of ones from our own childhoods and from our own years married. We both like it that way. Nate's mom though, had themed trees and each child would get to have a year to choose a theme. She had a lot of beautiful and fun matching ornaments for years and years of Christmases. It was fun to go through them with her, but it was a lot of stuff to go through. As fun and nice-looking matching is, Nate and I like our old, homemade meaningful ornaments.
Oh, to be honest, which I didn't know, so thanks for bringing the question up so I could discuss it with my husband, Nate likes white lights on the tree and I like colored...who knew?!
We have both right now. I don't really have a preference. I don't have much decorator sense, so a themed tree would never look right to me. I can admire them, but it's not what I want in my house. We have lots of different ornaments from our childhood. The rest were given to us, or souvenirs from our travels. The kids each have a baby's first Christmas ornament also.
Oh I wish we had a real tree, but we have a fake one. We use white lights, but after seeing colored ones this year, I think I will change it up next year. I have some homemade ornaments and some store bought. No tinsel, and cranberry and pine cone garland.
I love colored lights with an eclectic collection of ornaments. We have a tradition in our family that each grandkid gets an ornament each year from the grandparents (both sets), so we each had our own special ornaments to put up each year, and we had a full collection when we got married. We also adopted my mom's habit of picking up an ornament on each vacation to a new place. For a while there my parents' tree looked like it was going to fall over because it was so weighed down! :)
Post a Comment