Monday, January 18, 2010

busy as a bee

The New Year has felt busy. I don't know if it's the New Year's Resolutions or the hope that if I keep busy, winter will go by faster and we'll hurry up and get to Spring already. I know it's only been 3 weeks or so since the inception of the new decade but I have had success at my goals which were to read to each of my children every day, cook a vegetarian dinner at least once a week, go to the gym at least 3 times a week, and read 1 entire book every month.

Getting library books are so much more fun and rewarding now that I can get the ones that are a little longer with big pictures and Elliott will happily sit through me reading aloud a whole stack of them. Some our favorites, like good enough I should buy them, we've found since we moved here are Chocolatina by Erik Kraft and The Princess Knight by Cornelia Funke. Funke has a great pirate one too. Lily's doing good if she can sit through one Boynton book or half of Goodnight Moon. She is a girl on the GO. Walking now! About a 14 step record as of yesterday.

I was feeling lame that I'd only ready one book cover to cover (The Namesake) since I moved here so I made a goal to read one book a month. In 2 weeks I plowed through Shannon Hale's newish adult book The Actor and the Housewife. The main character is a Mormon mommy of 4 and serendipitously becomes best friends with a famous actor. Much laughter happened while reading. It was great. I started reading Food Matters by Mark Bittman but I kind of hate it because I don't want to feel guilty about eating hamburgers and I love my junk food, thank you very much. But I want to read it, for the perspective. And if just reading about unhealthy foods could make me not eat them so much, I could shed some pounds as my friend said she did after reading it.

Gym going. I love going to the gym. Especially once I'm there. Trying to do the morning breakfast and getting dressed stuff and getting to the gym with enough time for a workout before Lily needs her first nap can be tough, especially when a certain 3 year old is moving like a turtle. At the gym you can find me in vinyasa yoga class, on the Cardio Wave, or doing my own thang with some free weights. I am a MUCH happier mom when I get some exercise in.

Vegetarian cooking. I'm trying to incorporate it more. The whole "eat meat sparingly thing" and it's a whole new world of cooking to me. Exciting. We've had homemade Mexican mac and cheese with yummy roasted poblano peppers in it, a sweet potato & tofu jambalaya (so good!), a Spanish tortilla, and vegetarian minestrone soup.

So that's what been going on around here. 2010 is lookin good so far.

1 comment:

Krista said...

Looks like good goals. I have tried for almost a year to have Meatless Mondays; but that hasn't gone to well so far. The only thing that everyone liked was grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup. ;)
Your recipe names sound great! Where are you finding them?

"All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players: They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts" ...and in the wings of my stage, there is music.