Wednesday, March 10, 2010

purse history

The past couple days I've dedicated a little time to making a big pile o'stuff to take to goodwill: Old shirts that never fit right or have been washed so many times, they aren't the right shape anymore. Pants that are too big (!). Or I look at these things hanging in the closet and think, 'I do not feel good/pretty/confident when I wear that. Why am I keeping it?!' Come on, you know you are keeping some of these items around too. If you're like me, you want to throw your entire wardrobe away. Sigh.

Today I went through my box of purses I've moved all over this country and finally asked "WHY?" Why in the world am I keeping these? It's time to simplify! These aren't cute anymore. So now I am down to 3, okay maybe 5 now to think of it... Most embarrassing is the purse I took to prom when I was a junior. What was I thinking saving it?! Although maybe I should save it for Lily to play dress up with...it is fancy....

Anyway, as I dutifully looked through each old purse, it was like opening a time capsule, little pieces of madelyn history fell out: the little brown corduroy purse dad bought me at Old Navy when I was about 14, just cause I liked it, purses I bought on vacations, old library cards, old YMCA cards, expired benadryls and epipens, about a year's supply of feminine products, a favorite lipgloss I thought was lost!, lists detailing if all Christmas $ had been spent, Juliann's parking pass to the lots at Rice, travel packs of kleenex, receipts, ticket stubs, 'if lost please return to 49 Fox hall'. Sigh. Roll This is Your Life music. Purse History, Baby.

1 comment:

Sarah McK said...

I have tons of purses as well. I have whittled them down, but it is hard to part with them. Not sure why. Definitely keep the fancy one for Lily, though! Dress up rocks.

"All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players: They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts" ...and in the wings of my stage, there is music.