My tactics are very simple.
1. Portable dvd player. We're not big dvd buyers but we've bought some used Redbox dvds for $5 that have been watched a lot of times! Also, TJ Maxx is a good place for kid dvds.
2. Food. Lots and lots of food. Varying types and varieties. At least 2 kinds of candy for desperate times. This is about the only tactic that works on Lily. Also, it's very helpful to have clean plastic cups for snack distribution, unless you want your kids to eat or spill the entire pringles can.
3. And this trip I incorporated something new: Dollar Store new toys every few hours. This biggest hit? Glow sticks bracelets! I'm not sure why, since we didn't drive at night. But my children seemed to sense their peculiar, rarely beheld powers.
"If you think this little ipod screen showing Sesame Street is going to keep me happy for more than 92 seconds, you have another think coming."
Also, we are so blessed to have a bigger car now! We love our Hyundai Santa Fe! We were reminiscing about all the past road trips we've taken. We couldn't open the door to get a kid out of the car seat without stuff falling out of the car and having to repack everything and everyone back in every time. We sure appreciate our car now.

7 comments:
The dollar store toy idea is brilliant!! I may have to try that on our upcoming drive from Utah to Texas...
Whoo-hoo about the new car! when we too our first road trip with Max, Nate had the idea (from his time in cars growing up) to have grab-bags every two-four hours or so - it's like your dollar store idea. My kids were actually very disappointed when we flew this year. ;(
Hey Madelyn! Love the blog! Great ideas for long road trips. It's too bad I read your post AFTER we were done with ours. :)
We're thinking about taking a trip next summer when our kids are the age yours are now. Thanks for the tips!
Hi Madelyn! I just found your blog through Natalie's...yay for blog-hopping. :) Did I know you had a daughter? I can't wait to look through your blog and get updated on your life. it looks like a happy one!
The hardest change I made with WW is not eating freshly baked cookies daily. I started making huge batches of my favorite cookie dough and freezing balls when I was pregnant, and then I kept doing it while I was nursing so I could eat 4-5 homemade cookies a DAY! No WONDER I'd only lost 5 of the 40 pounds I gained with the baby! :)
Thanks for all the compliments! My coral dress is from Target. I love their Merona line. I get great dresses there. The cream dress is not mine. I wish it was! It's my friend Jessica's, who is now in the ward and who has the most fashionable wardrobe in the world. It's a BCBG Maxaria dress that she found on sale.
Post a Comment