Thursday, September 20, 2007

Learned Something about Myself

I have learned something new about myself: I don't like gardening. There I've said it. I'm no mother Earth.

We have a tree in our front yard with a planting area around it. It was overgrown with weeds.



(Note also my good husband mowing the lawn for the first time!)

So I pulled all the weeds. I didn't mind it. It felt good, like cleaning, like I was getting something done that needed to be done.

So we bought a few autumn mums and I decided to plant them. I couldn't believe how hard it was to dig like a 10 inch deep hole to put them in. There were all these dried out roots that were really hard to pull out (from the weeds I pulled?). There were disgusting worms and about 700 other ants and spiders and crawling things. YUCK! So gross! I hated it. Sweat was dripping down my face, I got mosquito bites, and Elliott kept sampling the dirt. Also, I had a cold so I kept having to stop to wipe my nose. I also didn't like not knowing what I was doing, always wondering if I was doing it right, or the best way. So I have concluded that I do not enjoy gardening. I do enjoy looking at the results, especially as opposed to the weeds so I took some pictures since I probably did it wrong and they will all die soon.










Potted flowers: $13 Garden Gloves: $1.50 Gardening Tools: $2.00
Figuring out I don't like gardening before I've spent any more money: Priceless

2 comments:

Ashley said...

I like to look at the results too. I just don't like all the bugs you have to encounter to get there. I like your post! I didn't know that you had one until you commented on mine. I didn't even know that you moved until I read your blog. How awful is that? I'm sad that I didn't get to know you better. We've been in and out of town and home sick so much this past year that I don't know very many people in MWII anymore! I hope things go well for you in your new home!

susannah said...

Ha ha, I love your wrap up to your blog! I actually do like gardening (or so I've convinced myself.) I'm trying to decide what to plant out front by our patio. After I decide, and do it, I'll update you as to whether I still like gardening or not!

"All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players: They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts" ...and in the wings of my stage, there is music.