That's what my darling boy calls cookies!
Every month I receive Good Housekeeping Magazine, free, thanks to mycokerewards points. In every issue there is a recipe makeover of a known fatty dish that they've made over to be as healthy as they can without sacrificing taste. I decided to make their made-over chocolate chip cookies and noted that it called for trans fat free margarine. Of course my margarine is trans fat free I mean that stuff is like banned in NY restaurants! But, as I checked the package to reassure myself, apparently everything is not better with Blue Bonnet on it! The product is loaded with transfattiness!
The next time I went to good old Walmart I checked every single package of margarine. All of them contained trans fats!
Now I grew up in a margarine household. A bi-margarine household actually as my dad prefers it in stick form and my mother in spreadable, tub form. I naturally chose not margarine but butter when I grew up and got my own kitchen because I just love the taste on toast so much better! I do still buy margarine for baking because it is much cheaper and there tends to be a lot of baking going on at my house. But I now I may need to reconsider. For only $.30 more than a pound of butter, I could buy a pound of Smart Balance, I believe it was, that seemed to be the healthiest butter out there in my quick and horrifying scan of nutritional facts of butter and margarine. But then who am I kidding? It's butter! It's for dessert! Why try to even make it healthier? Is it worth it?
The next time I went to good old Walmart I checked every single package of margarine. All of them contained trans fats!
Now I grew up in a margarine household. A bi-margarine household actually as my dad prefers it in stick form and my mother in spreadable, tub form. I naturally chose not margarine but butter when I grew up and got my own kitchen because I just love the taste on toast so much better! I do still buy margarine for baking because it is much cheaper and there tends to be a lot of baking going on at my house. But I now I may need to reconsider. For only $.30 more than a pound of butter, I could buy a pound of Smart Balance, I believe it was, that seemed to be the healthiest butter out there in my quick and horrifying scan of nutritional facts of butter and margarine. But then who am I kidding? It's butter! It's for dessert! Why try to even make it healthier? Is it worth it?

1 comment:
you are so awesome! i love reading your blogs!
anyways, we have SO MUCH to catch up on! i'm gonna email you ASAP (tonight, hopefully). i miss you!! lots of updates! and i wanna hear YOUR updates! i wanna call you! (i think i have your new number saved - i say "new" because the only other one i have is the one from freshman year of college... :P) please let me know if your cell phone number has changed!
i love and miss you and your family! muah!
Post a Comment