Monday, May 26, 2008

Babe's

Elliott and I are down in the great state of Texas visiting my folks and because I have the best in-laws in the world they all drove up from Houston to see us! They took us out to one of my most favorite restaurants in the whole world, as pictured above. This charming place is located in Roanoke, TX, a charming little town NE of FW but they also have a couple other locations in the Metroplex. If anyone ever comes to DFW for a visit or business and you have a car, you'd be silly to not come eat here.

Babe's only has two things on the menu: fried chicken and chicken fried steak. Yes I'm serious. A plate sized chicken fried steak. (If anyone doesn't know what a chicken fried steak is, well maybe we can't be friends anymore.) These plentiful portions also come with some amazing corn, mashed potatoes, and the best gravy ever. Oh and salad (which is only iceberg with dressing) and biscuits with honey and sorghum. Oh my gosh. I want to go heat up my leftovers just telling you about it. Brian and I actually had our "rehearsal dinner" here! And they serve Big Red! So delicious! It's kind of similar to Fanta Strawberry but not as sweet. I'd recommend Big Red as the perfect complement to a chicken fried steak.

Blog challenge: What's your favorite restaurant in your hometown?

3 comments:

Emma said...

That sounds really good! I haven't had Big Red in so long! Yum. I'm trying to remember what restaurants I liked back home. We had a great Mexican place called El Torrito.. But not a lot of unique one of a kind places.

happyfamily said...

My hometown is the WORST for restaurants, except for Steve's, which has a killer breakfast burrito about the size of my thigh (have you seen my thigh? It's HUGE!) and a king kong burger that is a plate-sized bun topped with several hamburger patties, pastrami, and bacon. I've never eaten one of those, though, because I don't want to die.

Anonymous said...

That sounds so cool! We LOVE chicken fried steak. Big Red huh? I haven't had that forever! I wonder if they have any of these restaurants in Houston?

I'd have to say my favorite restaurant is The Cheesecake Factory.

"All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players: They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts" ...and in the wings of my stage, there is music.