Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Girl's Camp

Awwww camp. The sunburns, the ticks, the food.....bring back memories? I'm not a camper. I hate camping. I hate being dirty and feeling dirty. I hate being hot for extended periods of time if not at a water park or other theme park. I hate bugs. Good thing no one asked me to go to girl's camp!

But, being in the YW presidency in my ward I thought I should at least show up to camp. This afternoon I drove to northern Missouri, practically Iowa to Lake Mozingo. The trip up north looked a lot like I recall the movie Twister looking. I just expected to see a tornado rip through the green rolling farmland. I passed through charming Nodaway County (hope I don't nod away at the wheel) and over a river marked "One Hundred and Two River" (?!) and arrived here.

The girls sleep in tents! And man are they packed in there! For those midnight potty goers, people are going to get stepped on! I can't even sleep in my own room if it's hot, let alone a tent filled with hot bodies. Ick.


Luckily, someone brought one of these for some heat relief. Where were these when I was a girl camper?



Here are two of my cute Beehives making pretty covers for their camp journals. I stayed in this air conditioned mess hall most of the time today. Thank goodness for flushing toilets and air conditioning.

1 comment:

Janina Herbert said...

Oh, Madelyn. I can TOTALLY feel your pain - your girls' camp experience sounds EXACTLY like my first (and last!) year at girls' camp - just thinking of the dirt, the bugs, and the stickiness makes me shudder! You are one amazing woman to be out there doing all that, without even being asked to!

Just know that I share your same emotions on the whole camping thing, and I will keep you in my prayers this week :)

"All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players: They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts" ...and in the wings of my stage, there is music.