Thursday, June 12, 2008

A Stair Problem


Well, we are going to be in Houston in a matter of days! We are so excited! However, my in-laws' lovely house has stairs, something we do not have currently. This concerns me because my very adventurous almost-two-year-old, who thinks he's indesctructible, only knows how to go up stairs, not down. At the top of the stairs is a landing with the same (how do I describe it?) slatted railing that only goes up to the waist on an adult. Could a two year old squeeze through it and plummet 13 feet to the hard wood floor below? Yes, I believe he could if determined.

What do I do?

A baby gate is not the answer as with the railing on one side, it's impossible to make it stay very well. Do I move a heavy piece of furniture, like a big armchair, blocking the entrance, hoping that when any adult needs to go upstairs they will move it, and put it back? Do I just let Elliott roam free and let him learn (the hard way) how to go down stairs and trust he won't try to walk off the landing? Of course I thought to myself months ago I should order some expensive contraption but now I'm three days away from being there.... way to go Madelyn...

2 comments:

Miss L said...

We have that same kind of railing in our house and, granted, I just have girls who aren't so determined to squeeze through...BUT! Just teach Mr. E to go down the stairs on his stomach or bum (which, I bet he picks up quicker than you'd imagine!!!) and he'll be so entranced with his new skill that he won't try to dislocate his shoulder via squeezing through the slats! Viola! Two problems solved! Have a great time in Houston!

Celeste Christensen said...

Hey! We had the same issue with Rachael. A lady in our ward taught us "plop bonk". Just have him scooch down on his bottom and and go "plop" when he hits the next step. It's lots of fun!

"All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players: They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts" ...and in the wings of my stage, there is music.