Sunday, June 22, 2008

time for some blogging

Texas happenings:

I have been in Texas for a week now and it has been fabulous! It's been so great to be in my in-laws great big nice house and have a general change of scenery. It's also been really nice to not be needed so much by Elliott. He has wonderful grandparents who are delighted to constantly entertain him. He also has a 4 1/2 year old cousin who he absolutely cousin-worships, except for the occasional moment when Elliott slaps him in the face. We've eaten some great Mexican food and been to Ikea twice! Heaven! The YMCA here accepts our KC YMCA membership so I have made it to the gym once. I'm still paying for it, I can't properly straighten my legs. And I thought our ymca was nice...I was mistaken! I'm so excited to take Elliott to the kiddie splash pool part tomorrow.

We were also lucky to see Brian's grandmother and aunt and our good musicians friends Juliann, Jen, and Erik from Interlochen days. Yay!

Horn happenings:

Before Brian drove down (E and I flew), he auditioned for the St. Louis symphony. He played great but I guess they didn't care for his style cause they didn't hire anyone! That's the second time this year they've had the audition and didn't hire anyone! In fact we were naming off the horn auditions that happened this year and about 7 of them didn't hire anyone. So silly. However, out of the blue the Fort Worth Symphony called Brian and said they needed him for a couple of weeks in August to play in their Mahler festival! So my mom is excited to see us again and Brian is excited to add another orchestra to his resume and play some of the greatest music ever written and make a little money.

Pregnancy happenings:

12 weeks! Two words: Pregnancy Insomnia. Shoot me now. For the past 6 weeks I haven't slept well. It's so frustrating to not sleep well this early when it's not physical discomfort that is waking/keeping me up. Last night was particularly bad when I was lying awake from 2-3:45AM. Then from about 3:45-7:15 when I got up for church, I probably woke up, enough to know I was awake, about 4 more times. I would say I wake up more than 6 times a night with the first four hours of sleep usually all I can count on for good sleep. I'm so tired of feeling generally groggy and grouchy. I take a nap every afternoon but I wake up every half hour then too! I guess I need to take a benadryl (though I hate how those make me feel) or some tylenol pm (is that safe for long term use? I've never used a sleeping pill!) I'm going to call my doc tomorrow.

Vacation woes happenings:

Elliott has sensitive, eczema prone skin. It's been very good and under control, non existent pretty much since we moved to KC. Well with well intentioned grandparents putting bug spray on his face, washing it with soap, and wiping it with dish rags, his eczema came back with a vengeance all of a sudden on his face. Of course I packed everything but the kitchen sink but I didn't pack the prescription steroid eczema gel since he hasn't needed it for a year. Well we tried a couple days of good face moisturizing lotions but his face wasn't responding. So during my staring at the ceiling session in the middle of the night, it ocurred to me to call the pharmacy here where I bought that first tube of face gel and see if by any chance there were any refills on the prescription. I called today and since it'd only been 11 months, not 12, since I got that last tube, I could indeed go pick up the prescription today! Yay! The first time I got the prescription I only paid $3 thanks to poor family CHIP insurance. So today I figured it would be about $20. Nope. $45. If we didn't have insurance it would have been $220! Oh the irony of paying $45 when we're only going to need half a teaspoon of it and we have a whole tube at home.

C'est la vie. Vacations. Stuff like this happens I suppose. I really can't complain since I think Elliott's only been to the doctor for being sick once in his whole life. Knock on wood. We've put it on once and his face is already looking better.

Redbox Happenings:

We rented The Bucket List. Good. Some really funny moments and also a lump in the throat movie. Worth seeing.

We rented The Kite Runner. No I didn't read the book but I was interested in what the story was about. I regret watching it! Way too much tough stuff for a hormonal mom of a sweet little boy to watch. Yikes. Skip it! I wish I could get it out of my head.

3 comments:

Janina Herbert said...

i loved this blog! i feel so updated on your life! thanks! :)

and i'm SO glad you warned me about the Kite Runner - i read the book and LOVED it, but it did take me a LONG while to get over the assault scene of the little boy in the beginning. i wondered how the movie would handle it, (hoping that maybe it wouldn't be graphic) but i guess it is! and i'm gonna take your advice on it, especially since i'm pregnant with what i think is a boy ... :)

anyways, i love and miss you! i'm so sorry that you're not sleeping well :( definitely talk to your dr. i hope it gets better! and congrats to brian on the fort worth symphony gig! yay! motivation for me to practice :) love ya!

happyfamily said...

Yeah, I read that book too, and it was awful! I mean, it was a great book, but SO terrible and depressing. I have the same problem, just get it out of my head!

Harmony said...

Congratulations on the new baby! I also enjoyed The Bucket List, and disliked Kite Runner.

"All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players: They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts" ...and in the wings of my stage, there is music.