Saturday, June 7, 2008

People Watching at the Symphony

I'm just sitting down to a nice bowl of mint chocolate chip ice cream after a long day filled with more housewifely duties than should be permissible for a first trimester-er. At least I have a pretty clean house to show for it.

Last night I went to Brian's concert. His season is winding down. He just has Pops next week and then he's off for the summer! I told the girl at the ticket office I just needed one ticket as I handed her my ticket voucher that was good for two. As I looked at my ticket I saw I had a great seat, often the case when you just need one. I made my way to the balcony and saw I was to be next to....a 500 pound man. Instant panic. One of those social split second decisions. What do I do? I don't really fit there! I mean, he doesn't fit in his seat so I can't fit into mine! There were three seats to the left of him still empty so I sat in the middle one instead of the one next to him, knowing full well that some charming couple was going to soon come up to me and say I was in one of their seats. Dread. I couldn't enjoy my program notes cause I had to analyze each person heading towards me. Was I in their seat? I did not want a wrong seat confrontation and I did not want anything to happen to make the fat man feel bad for being fat. I was glad he was at the symphony! Yeah for supporting my husband's career! A couple did come, I moved, thankfully it was no big deal, I picked another seat, and braced myself in case it happened again. It didn't! Crisis averted! Whew.

Best dressed: A 60ish year old woman wearing the best/most flattering white pants I'd ever seen. They had a bit of pearly sheen to them. I just didn't know white pants could look that good on anybody! And yay for cute grandmas buying themselves new cute clothes. Good pants nearly always allude me...I'm too large in the small parts and too short in the long parts darn it.
Worst dressed: A preteen girl with a huge tie dye t shirt tucked into some denim underwear, I mean shorts, that was so tight, it was all wedgie in the back until the hem. You know, a good handful of people wear denim to the Symphony. I think that's fine! I would rather have them buy a ticket and come in jeans then not come. But denim shorts? I think someone needs to draw the line there.
Most interesting hair: A bald man with a beard down to his stomach.
Most ridiculous overheard conversation: A 45 year old woman with a lot of me-time to a complete stranger. "Well you know I speak seven languages. I can't read and write in all of them but I can speak them...Well my father's in foreign communications and I grew up in Europe. I mean I didn't even learn English until I was 11." Whoopdeedoo lady. I don't know where in Europe she grew up but I am pretty sure they teach English in the schools over there from a young age... I wonder if she understands tact in the other six languages...

3 comments:

Emma said...

That sounds like a fun night for you.

Monica said...

Man, I know several men who are bald or going bald with big ole' beards. What's the deal? Is this some kind of overcompensation? Can you imagine the kinds of things that get lodged in those things? No offense against the bearded.

Adrienne said...

I think the symphony is the BEST people watching place, hands down, because you get all types. I love, love, love the people who are trying to act like they're "old money" and are all hoity-toity...and are about 120 years old. It makes me want them to make disparaging remarks about "young women in pants-suits".

"All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players: They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts" ...and in the wings of my stage, there is music.