Here is an articulate article, written by a musician, explaining the work that goes into being a musician so that musicians, like my husband, can enjoy their 20 hour work weeks.
http://blog.syracuse.com/opinion/2010/09/making_music_the_work_of_a_syr.html#mode_smoref_face
I personally identify well with this paragraph:
"The typical professional musician will begin playing his or her instrument sometime between the ages of 3 and 10*. Once you start playing there are weekly private lessons. Then there is orchestra at school, youth orchestra on the weekends, various festivals throughout the school year and music camps during summer vacation. I spent my final two years* of high school at a boarding school for the arts in Michigan, something that is not uncommon for people in this profession."
*(except I started at 11 and only spent 1 year in Michigan =) and he left out the marching band indentured servitude part)
But he raises a good point at the end there about how can we expect our cities to support us if they have NO idea what goes into those weekend symphony performances?
In other news I now have 6 students! Wahoo!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
"All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players: They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts" ...and in the wings of my stage, there is music.

3 comments:
That was a great article. Thanks for sharing. I am a music lover, and although I rarely have the opportunity to attend live concerts, I give them my full emotional and intellectual support. Go musicians!!!!
PS. Nice work on the students. You're going to totally mold some young minds. Awesome!
awesome! thanks for sharing it. and WAHOO FOR 6 STUDENTS! We didn't talk long enough for you to tell me about that! I'll call you back hopefully tomorrow so I can hear all about it! love you and MISS YOU!!!
It is a lifetime of work all rolled into a job. But what a blessing to have enough God-given talent to turn all that work into a CAREER! Most people just aren't good enough, no matter how much they practiced growing up!
Post a Comment