Tuesday, January 17, 2012

betta-nator


Call me the betta-nator. I somehow terminated THREE betta fish in 6 days. I thought the kids were over it but tonight Lily cried, "I miss my fish!"

I don't know what happened. We got them each a betta because they are supposedly very hearty and 'like' coldish, dirtyish, tap water. After the 3rd one died, I threw in the towel and returned every last betta related product I had purchased, even the pineapple under the sea. "Good thing we didn't get a dog," Brian said.


Lily's fish "Finny"


Elliott's fish "Toppo" (rhymes with Taco)

1 comment:

Krista said...

Madelyn, I can understand your plight with the fish!! During my first year of college, my roommates and I took turns with cleaning duties around the dorm/apt. One of the jobs each week that we did was to clean out our roommate, Shari's beta (names King Louis). She had owned this fish since she was in 8th grade! Anyway, one week, I was helping another of my roommates to clean out the fish tank; We checked the tap water, cleaned out the bowl, put King Louis back in and he proceeded to swim to the top in a frenzy, then shoot back down to the bottom, back to the top, back down and then he literally keeled over and died. Not sure what happened, and Shari was devastated because he had been her fish for so long and couldn't understand how we had killed him. Anyway, I know people say they are hardy, but now that I've killed a few myself, I've discovered that if you just put the solution in the tap water that gets rid of the chlorine, they do live a little longer than two days. ;)

"All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players: They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts" ...and in the wings of my stage, there is music.