Sunday, January 1, 2012

stiffnecked

My wonderful husband gave me a gift certificate to go to a spa for a massage for my birthday...back in March. I finally redeemed it a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed my first ever massage. That's definitely something a woman my age should have experienced by now! It was awesome...and then I was unbelievably sore for a few days afterward! Wow, how having an arm raking over those tight knots at the time can feel so good and then the next day feel so bad is a mystery to me.

Before she began, the masseuse asked if I had any areas I wanted her to concentrate on. I told her I am a stiff/achy neck person from a car accident I was in 3 years ago. She asked what type of pillow I sleep on. I told her that as a back sleeper, the chiropractor that worked on me after the accident said I should be sleeping on a memory foam pillow with the curve in it to support the curve in my neck as I sleep. I had already been using one of those pillows and have been for years. But with my really tight neck, the longer/better I sleep on any night, the more stiff and achy it is in the morning. She told me that as a back sleeper, ideally I should sleep with no pillow at all for proper alignment. WHAT?! So after she gloriously tortured the trigger points in my neck and showed me some stretches I should be doing, I decided that night I should try it. For the past couple of weeks, most nights I have slept nearly the whole night without a pillow and my neck is doing a LOT better. Now I can sleep for a long time and not wake up sore. It's amazing. Why did I wait so long to get my massage?! Why did I not ever think to try sleeping with no pillow? (PS if you are a side sleeper, you need a thick pillow to keep your spine aligned, she said.)

So that's my story. Get a massage. Work on those neck knots. Stretch neck. Toss pillow on ground. Wake up happy. New year, new neck.

1 comment:

peterfam said...

I can totally relate, our chiropractor has a massage therapist, and since it is part of the chiropractic visit, it is covered by our insurance. It has been awesome, but the first time, I experienced flu like symptoms afterwords. She said that would happen and if I drink enough water it would go away. Its from toxins being released into the bloodstream from my stiff muscles. Other than being really sore, it is awesome. Call around and see if there are any massage therapists that come free with a chiropractic visit. Then you can have regular massages! ps. Saw you on music and the spoken word yesterday! So fun!

"All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players: They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts" ...and in the wings of my stage, there is music.