Tuesday, January 17, 2012

puppy-like excitement


Tonight I got to hear a cool speaker at church. He's one of those professional church speaker types, who teaches religion classes to young adults and lectures at BYU's education week. He was great and talked mostly about marriage and some about parenting.

Brian and I have a great marriage but something he was encouraging did seem like a 'new' idea to me. The speaker said we should want to have a marriage that is EXCITING! "What type of people want to have a loving marriage that is boring? Boring people! You should want your marriage to be exciting. You should be excited to come home to your spouse/to see your spouse when he/she arrives home. What's wrong with greeting your spouse the way a dog greets its owner: tail wagging, mouth wide open, happily barking?"

He said that one time he came home from work and quietly crept to his office and started typing away on his laptop. About 20 minutes later he jumped out of his seat as his wife startled him by crawling up and suddenly licking his hand! Hilarious!

This story reminded me immediately of my sweet Lily. She is a momma's girl. If I make it out of the house without her, usually to go to the gym, the second she senses the front door has been opened and I have arrived home, she yells from the basement, "MOM! You're HERE! Yay!!!! Dad!!!! Mom's here!" With all the joy and exuberance a 3 year old reuniting with her mother after 1 hour and 15 minutes can proclaim, I am welcomed home again. Why do I wish I could just arrive home unnoticed sometimes? So I can grab a handful of almonds and hit the shower in peace without stopping to refill a sippy cup or get someone else a snack? My agenda is not so important that I can't stop to look her in the eye and say "Hi, I'm happy to see you too" before I run off to my next thing. It does make me feel loved the way she unfailingly welcomes me home and I should show that type of love and EXCITEMENT to my husband when he comes home. I do not want to end up boring!

3 comments:

Jenn said...

I love this. Lily is so darling.

Decker and Christine said...

Love it. Laralyn has decided she wants to be a cat, so it would be hilarious if Decker came home barking like a dog. Hm...maybe I'll try that tomorrow. So sorry about your betta fish. Weird that so many died. We bought two back in May and they're still swimming. LL accidentally poured dish soap into their tank and everything...maybe your pet store was selling sick fish?

Krista said...

Too true! What a great point; who wants to be boring? Thanks for posting your re-cap on the talk!

"All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players: They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts" ...and in the wings of my stage, there is music.