Thursday, March 20, 2008

St. Louis

Brian needed to go to St. Louis for a summer music festival audition and Elliott and I decided to accompany him. St. Louis is about a 4 1/2 hour drive from Kansas City. On the way, Elliott got a little bored and decided to amuse himself by attempting to undress.

We stayed in a nice hotel downtown and weaseled our way out of $24 parking by waking up early to feed parking meters. Our hotel had a nice free breakfast full of fresh fruit! Yum! On Monday morning, Brian had his audition, which went well--it'll be a couple weeks until we find out if we're spending the summer in the Colorado. Fingers crossed! Elliott and I spent the morning walking to the famous arch and then exploring the underground museum beneath it. Did you know it's a national park? We had walk through metal detectors to see the museum.

We also briefly checked out the Old Courthouse. The famous Dred Scott trial took place in this building. This is the rotunda from the inside.

Monday afternoon we went to the St. Louis Zoo. It is the best zoo I have ever been to because the animals look really healthy and are really active. Also, they just have some interesting animals you've probably never seen. My favorite part of zoos is always the monkeys! They have a chimp there who has alopecia, an autoimmune disorder that attacks the hair follicle. That's right--a hairless monkey! He looked like Gollum. The zoo keeper said the other chimps don't treat him any differently. We also saw a camel who I thought was just so cool, I had to get my picture with him. The mullet like hair, the denture like teeth, the frothy foam pouring out of his mouth. Amazing!


That night for dinner we went the Italian "Hill" area of town and ate some great pasta at Ragazzi's. The only problem was Elliott, being all out of sorts from travelling/not really napping, fell asleep on the way and woke up while we were sitting down at the restaurant. He then completely freaked out. Screaming, yelling, hitting us, prostrating himself on the ground and refusing to get up. Yes, he's turning into a typical toddler complete with tantrums. (That is typical right?) Luckily, Brian took him out to the car and gave him some jellybeans. They worked like magic and he was able to collect himself and come back inside.

Tuesday morning, Brian was sweet enough to watch Elliott in the hotel while I battle the thunderstorms, traffic, and construction closings and went to the St. Louis Temple. So nice. It reminded me of the Boston temple.
We had lunch at a favorite from our Chicago days, a burrito joint called Qdoba. So delicious! We thought about hitting the Science museum which we've heard is amazing, but between a sleepy kid and the bad rain, we decided to head home instead. It was such a great little escape. Yay for a mini-vacation!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How fun! I went to St. Louis once. Paul's brother and his family live there. We didn't do much though, because I was incredibly pregnant and couldn't walk around that much. Sheesh.
We went to the zoo, though. That was fun. I'm curious about seeing more about the midwest- seems like you're getting some very interesting experiences!
Glad to see you back!

Megan said...

Sounds like a fun little trip. I got to go to the dedication of the St. Louis temple, so it has a special place in my heart!

Monica said...

Was that for the Breckenridge music festival? My oboe teacher always plays his bassoon in that festival. Every year. Anyway, I figured I would ask - what happened anyway?

"All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players: They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts" ...and in the wings of my stage, there is music.