A couple of the ladies were saying they have a rule in the house that everyone in their family has to at least eat a little bit of what is being served for dinner. Then they said they have a hard time getting their husbands to follow the rule and often have to cover for him when they kids ask why dad isn't eating his --fill-in-the-blank. "What do you mean? What won't your husband eat?!" I asked, not fathoming. "Vegetables!" they both said. That cracks me up! Grown men not eating their vegetables! We can't get enough of them here. Roasted sweet potatoes or roasted cauliflower is our favorite. Do your significant others eat their veggies?
Also, Lily is on a milk strike. I boxed up the bottles and she is dehydrating as opposed to drinking milk from a sippy cup. She loves eating yogurt so at least she's getting some dairy. I guess I shouldn't worry too much since the pediatrician said to give her no more than like 12 oz. of milk a day or something absurdly low like that. Still, I don't like it and I hope she drinks milk again soon.
Smoky Black Bean and Rice Stoup
from Rachael Ray’s Express Lane Meals
Serves 4
3 bacon slices, chopped
1 bay leaf
2 celery ribs
1 med. Onion
4 garlic cloves
1 C frozen corn kernels
2 15 oz. Cans black beans
1 Tblsp. Ground coriander
1 Tblsp. Chili powder
1 ½ tsp. ground cumin
1 Tblsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp hot sauce
salt and pepper
1 15 oz. Can diced tomatoes, fire roasted if you have them
1 8 oz. Can tomato sauce
1 quart chicken stock
1 C uncooked rice
Heat a soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the bacon and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add the bay leaf, celery, onions, and garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes to soften the veggies. Add the corn and 1 can of black beans and their juice. Drain the other can, then add half the can of beans. Mash the remaining beans in the can with a fork to make a paste out of them, then scrape them into the soup pot–this will make the soup thick! Season the veggies and beans with the coriander, chili, ground cumin, Worcestershire, hot sauce, and salt and pepper. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, and stock. Cover the pot and raise the heat to bring the stoup to a boil. Add the rice and cook the stoup over a rolling simmer until the rice is tender but has a little bite left to it, 15 minutes. Adjust the seasonings and serve.

7 comments:
Thanks for the recipe! I actually had chocolate dipped bacon today at Whole Foods! Small worlds. :)
I hope Lily starts drinking soon...but don't worry...kids won't kill themselves. She'll drink something before too long! :)
I agree that bacon rocks. My husband LOVES vegetables! MUCH more than I do! I think it is absurd when adults refuse to eat things like vegetables. I mean, if you're going out to eat then by all means be picky and get only what you want, but if your wife makes veggies that are good for the kids....eat three freaking bites so you follow the rule! So weird.
Okay so there's this new show on Food Network: The Best Thing I Ever Ate. One episode (the theme was "fried food") they showed tempura fried bacon from Red Cat restaurant in New York. Holy cow, it looked so utterly yummy but oh so bad for you. When we were in NYC a couple weeks ago we wanted to go, but they were closed on Mondays. I'm off to NY again a week from today...maybe I can sneak over and give it a go! Miss you
I am so trying that recipe! Thanks for putting it on. And fyi Elise gave up milk around that age but would eat yogurt. She still barely drinks milk, even with chocolate or strawberry flavor in it. Recently, we realized that Nate, three of his sisters and a whole bunch of his cousins have a milk allergy. I haven't checked Elise for one, but I'm guessing that she probably may have inherited it.
Anyway, you may test that out.
I'll have to try that one! Looks good. I'm glad you have a recipe group! That is so fun and helpful. Sounds like you're doing great!
Oh, but I am the first to say I DID try it, and it was fab. Ah, bacon. Seriously, I cannot vegan. Not humanly possible.
I am sooo going to try that soup. Thanks! My husband doesn't eat his veggies either, but he humors me for the kids sake. Be lucky that you have a man that is good and will eat his veggies.
Post a Comment