Saturday, June 19, 2010

coconut ants

What do you think of when you hear the word coconut?

The first few things that come to mind for me are:
  • no bake cookies!!!! I ate nearly an entire batch on my own this week. yum.
  • that weird song that says "put the lime in the coconut"
  • a blogpost I read a couple years ago in which the writer was reasoning that if coconut is a fruit, it should not be bad for you. But it is. "What gives, coconut milk?"she said. I never forgot that line. =)
and recently I gained a new train of thought regarding coconut....

Terminix came a week ago because we had serious ant armies marching around our house. They were eating through mortar and some were flying and were completely immune to the ant poison we thoroughly left for them. More and more were coming in our house.

"So what type of ants are these?" Brian asked. "House Ants. Smash them and smell them. Smells like coconut," Mr. Terminix said.

And sure enough, if you smash one of our ants and sniff your finger, it smells like pina colada.

5 comments:

happyfamily said...

Who knew?

That is disgusting!

Krista said...

we have those, what a weird smell; I hadn't connected it with coconut - but you are right!

Heather Siegerdt said...

Is it working? We have the same problem at our house right now, right down to the flying ants. We have an exterminator coming probably once a week or so (only pay the quarterly thank goodness), but it's not making any difference!

Miss L said...

That is too weird about the smell. I've never done that. But, ohhhhh, how I hate the ants! Every year we try to avoid having the exterminators come, and every year we relent!

FYI: The flying ants are actually female-wanna-be queens, who are looking to start their own colony, but never get any takers, so to speak, and they die pretty quick (learned that with this years spraying).

Also, in a pinch, you can use windex to kill/ briefly discombobulate the ants. Very satisfying, but not very effective long term; still we had to call the bug killers.

Sarah McK said...

um....creepy.

"All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players: They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts" ...and in the wings of my stage, there is music.