The only guidelines/goals I made were to:
- no Target
- no Walmart
- do 90% of the grocery shopping at Aldi
- no Trader Joes
The biggest surprise was I didn't miss Walmart. I mean it's a really nice Walmart here, as nice as I've ever seen, but it's 20 minutes away from my house and it was complicating my life to travel that far for the bulk of my groceries. Not to mention how glamorous a life it is to take a 1 and 3 year old to SuperWalmart, considering little kids like to sit in a cart for over an hour....right. Nah, don't miss those tantrums.
But Aldi is the nearest grocery store, it's nice, the clientele isn't scary (*cough St. Louis, cough*), and it has the cheapest, most beautiful produce in town. We were eating well! And I was pleasantly surprised that I even liked some of the Aldi brand stuff I was dreading having to eat, like their bread and cereal. However, I do have one complaint. 1-Ply Toilet Paper! Need I say more?!
The other 10% of groceries were things like cilantro, or diet caffeine free house brand cokes that Aldi doesn't sell. Then I just went to the local chain grocery store, Harris Teeter. Still hate that name.
And I am still missing my Trader Joe's but now the next time I go, I will remember it is a treat to buy special food there, not a given part of our groceries.
What did we do with the "extra" money? Well, we're saving it for this summer when Brian's off and not getting paid. But we also had some fun on a date to the Cheesecake Factory and we bought Elliott a trailing bike. (You know it's only 1 wheel and you attach it behind a grown up's bike.) He LOVES it! He's in heaven on that thing. One afternoon when we might have gone to Target for "fun," we went on a family bike ride. And it was WAY more fun.
So I wasn't perfect, could have done better, but I'm proud of the spending-less-and-liking-it-more habits I made last month.

5 comments:
Oh I'm so glad you did it! Congrats to you. Isn't it amazing? I am pretty sure I'm going to do it annually.
wow, way to go. that's awesome! good goals. i will definitely try the no target goal. sometimes when i feel like spending but just need one or two things i send kevin to the store. he has an iron will, in my estimation, at passing aisle after aisle and only getting what he needs! sorry we couldn't come to your breakfast:) we aren't there yet. not til the 18th. but thanks so much for the invitation! can't wait to see you guys too!
Inspirational you! :) WAY TO GO! And actually, I'm trying to do the same thing (sorta) by incorporating coupons...but the only downside I've noticed is that now I'm grocery shopping 3-4 times A WEEK! It's REALLY annoying. So I'm gonna incorporate what YOU said and maybe just limit myself to go NO MORE THAN once a week. We'll see. Either way, you've given me food for thought and I'm going to change my grocery-shopping habits! love you and MISS YOU :)
Good for you! Emily Southerland told me something interesting about Aldi that will make you like it better. It is owned by the kids of the Trader Joe's owners, so they have a lot of the same food philosophies, etc. But it's still too ghetto here.
I'm amazed. You rock at yet another thing. One day, I'll be like Madelyn!! :)
Post a Comment