Saturday, August 9, 2008

Comin' Round the Mountain

We're back from our fantastic vacation in Breckenridge, Colorado! Elliott and I took 12 hours to do the 9 hour drive from KC to Denver. (Brian flew to Indiana to play a gig and didn't meet us in Breck till later in the week.) It wasn't too bad doing such a big drive by myself with a toddler. We rigged up a dvd player and he watched Blue's Clues the whole time and I listened to a book on my ipod. The tricky parts are always having to take him to the bathroom with me and keeping him distracted enough so he wouldn't open the stall door and run away. He thought the rest area flushing toilets were so loud he got in the habit of covering his ears the whole time and once he gave me a hug while I was sitting on the toilet. The other tricky part was when I got to the hotel and keeping Elliott from running away while trying to get checked in and our luggage out of the car. I just paid the doorman to take our bikes up for us. We went swimming and slept like a dream in our priceline steal. The next morning we picked up the in-laws at the airport and travelled 2 more hours west until we reached this:















One of Leslie's favorite things about Breckenridge is all the flower planters!














Another thing the family really enjoys is bicycling. There are paved paths everywhere! Over the course of the week I rode a bike 50 miles! Not bad for a prego at 10,000 feet who doesn't even particularly like riding a bike. I like it a lot more than I did when I was here 4 years ago. I'm in a lot better shape so it was a lot easier!












Some common rides we did were from Breckenridge to Frisco, the next town about 10 miles away. I didn't have the stamina to ride back to Breck with everyone else so I would hop on the free bus and go back. One time we drove up to the top of Vail Pass and then coasted/rode down. It was so gorgeous! Imagine the cold, dry air, giving you little goosebumps as you fly through a forest of yummy smelling pine trees with a mountain stream running alongside the path so fast there's a little white water and foam. On the other side of the path are purple mountain flowers. Elliott absolutely loved being pulled in the bicycle trailer, "bike-a-tron" by Grandpa. Brian really appreciated having a new bike.











Brian's awesome Aunt Amy and Uncle Paul surprised us with their presence during our time in Breckenridge. They live in Japan and so a visit from them is a real treat! They even let us stay with them when we needed a few more days of mountain life.

1 comment:

Janina Herbert said...

Awesome vacation! I'm so glad you had such a wonderful time! And look at your cute little tummy startin to pop out - I love it! :) miss you and love you! muah!

"All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players: They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts" ...and in the wings of my stage, there is music.