Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Great Weekend

This weekend was one of the best I've had in a long time. In short: Zumba class, car washed, in- laws flew in for a visit, yummy soup, playing outside, father/son bike ride, babysitter came, we left, we ate dinner at Jack Stack! Ohhhhh yes. I have wanted to go ever since I saw it featured on the Food Network. At this Kansas City BBQ landmark, they put the pot of bbq baked beans in the bottom of the meat smoker all day so that little bits of meat and fat drip into the beans. We got huge plates of all manner of meats, beans, cheesy corn, mashed potatoes, and potato salad. I don't know the last time I was that excited about eating! It really was everything I'd hoped it would be.
]
I'm not normally one of those silly people who records their food on film but it was such an occasion, I couldn't resist.

After dinner, we walked around the Plaza, a chic, outdoor shopping area. I got Elliott a cute long sleeve shirt for $2.49 at the Children's Place! Then we headed downtown to the Lyric Theater where Brian's concert would be.

His parents came because this weekend was the first set of "real" Classical series concerts. The concert was so exciting! I just sat there beaming, that's my husband down there, playing Principal Horn with the Kansas City Symphony, as my ears were tuned in only to 1st horn playing. I had to keep reminding myself to pay attention to the rest of parts, to the hugely famous piano soloist, etc. Brian sounded so great, like the real deal. There was a little bio of him in the program since he's a new member and the music director had him stand and introduced him to the audience. He also gave him a solo bow! Brian had some big, exposed stuff, and even a solo where it was ONLY him playing. It went great! It snuck up on me so fast, I nearly had a heart attack and spent the rest of the piece recovering, Whew, it went great, it's over now, I can relax a little more! I am so proud of Brian. He played great all three times they did the concert. I don't know what I'd been thinking when he left for work the past few weeks cause this job wasn't really real to me until I saw him "working" on Saturday night. I'm so lucky that my husband finally has a job doing what he loves to do so that it's hardly work.


They're still like rock stars to me--the Symphony's coffee mugs. So cute!



Sunday morning, Brian and I spoke in church which was really special since his parents were there. Good thing too, they helped corral Elliott in the pew. Also, I got a calling today, the biggest one I've ever had--2nd Counselor in Young Womens--in charge of 12-13 year olds. Oh boy. I'm excited. Our talks went really well and we're glad they're done. Brian had to go play the concert again in the afternoon but the rest of us went to Deanna Rose Farm (see previous post) and had a fabulous afternoon before taking them back to the airport. Come back and see us soon!

2 comments:

susannah said...

That's fantastic about Brian's concert! Yea!
I found out about Zumba out of curiousity from you mentioning it in a previous post, and it sounds like so much fun! The YMCA offers classes a few times during the week and I am going to try it out as soon as I can get Rebekah's schedule to work around a class!

Brekke said...

You are so cute! I love how you talk about being proud of Brian. He looks very handsome in his concert tux.

"All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players: They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts" ...and in the wings of my stage, there is music.