Thursday, October 4, 2007

The Places I've Lived...

I have been lucky enough to live in some great and diverse parts of our country. Where have you lived? How has it changed your life?



From most recent...

1. Kansas City–it’s where Brian got his first job
when: Sept 2007-???
why: the Kansas City Symphony pays my rent
what I like so far: Jack Stack bbq beans, going to the YMCA 6 hours a week, hearing my husband live his dream, the wonderful people I’m beginning to know
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Houston–it’s where I sweated and sweated and fed a demanding baby

when: July 2006-August 2007
why: So Brian could go to Rice
one thing I’m not sorry to leave behind: living in an apartment where I can’t practice
what I miss most: Mission Burrito on Wednesday nights, having a cute infant, those early months can be brutal but man they fly by and I miss having a baby that small and new...sometimes... hanging out with my friend Juliann who happened to be at Rice that year as well, all the great friends I made through church who I wish I had spent more time getting to know, being close to Brian’s great family
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



3. Chicago–it’s where we started the rest of lives together, where I had my baby

when: Aug 2004-July 2006
why: Because that’s where Brian lived when we got married, I transferred schools and we graduated from Roosevelt University
one thing I’m not sorry to leave behind: waiting for the bus/subway in arctic temperatures in questionable neighborhoods
what I miss most: the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, taking private horn lessons with one of the greatest musicians of all time, living in such an urban setting with great museums, great food, and the amazing people I met at church who loved me, cared about me, and challenged me.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------




4. Provo–it’s the “Lord’s University”
when: Aug 2002-August 2004
why: I didn’t have the money to go to any other school I got into and I was supposed to
one thing I’m not sorry to leave behind: naivety
what I miss most: The beautiful mountains, the unique experience, the GREATEST roommates, namely Laura and Marissa, Café Rio and the Bombay house, and the chance I got to tour Europe.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



5. Interlochen, Michigan–it’s the place I met my husband
when: Sept 2001-May 2002
why: Interlochen Arts Academy: “The nation’s premier fine arts boarding high school”
one thing I’m not sorry to leave behind: the cafeteria food
what I miss most: Everything, I would live this year over in a heartbeat. Getting to play my horn all day everyday. Being surrounded by the most driven and talented group of people you could ever imagine. Making friends that last a lifetime. The lake. The sunsets on the lake. The experience of finding the love of my life.

Oh we were babies!

5 comments:

Emma said...

That was fun to read. Brian looks so young. I don't think you look much different. :)

Brekke said...

That's a good list. Mine is quite a bit shorter, but I'm going to think about your questions.

Megan said...

What a fun post! One of my good friend's from high school went to Interlochen for a year and loved it too!

Audrey said...

Wow! You have lived in so many places. I wish I could say the same, but I can't. Maybe in the future!

Madelyn said...

Audrey, thanks for reading my blog! Yes I've moved a lot! Invite me to see your blog please. =) Miss you!

"All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players: They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts" ...and in the wings of my stage, there is music.