Monday, October 1, 2007

Farm Fun

For playgroup last week we went to a lovely place called Deanna Rose Farm in a suburb about half an hour away. It's like a park and a petting zoo of farm animals all in one and the best part is: it's FREE. Yes, completely free, well until you put a quarter in the machine to get some goat feed. Those are some hungry goats.
The farm had some of the most beautiful, young, healthy, happy looking animals I'd ever seen. Have you ever seen a white turkey? Up close its head looks so gross. All those little folds look like brains.

Elliott can only articulate a few things that he knows. The most reliable thing he can tell you is what a cow says. So we were mooing at the cows and guess what, they stopped eating, turned around, and starting mooing back at us. Elliott thought it was pretty funny and I can't believe I have such an authentic moo. I don't know that that's really something to be proud of...
More cowbell!

We only spent about an hour there before we drove to a small town called Louisburg and took a tour of their apple cider mill. We saw them wash apples, press them, and then after they make the cider, bottle it.



At the end, everyone got a cup of cider and a cider donut. The cider was unbelievable!! I bought a gallon of it to bring home! I was hoping Elliott would share his donut with me, but he didn't need any help finishing it. Quite the food coma followed. Yay for small town fun.



Brian's parents came to town this weekend for the first time! More about that later...but on Sunday afternoon we went back to the farm place. Cute pictures ensued.

2 comments:

Megan said...

How fun! Glad to find your blog! More cowbell--hilarious!

susannah said...

An authentic moo - I must say I like it! But then again, I was raised around literally thousands of cows. There were dairy farms and feed lots ALL OVER where I grew up. All I have to say (other than the fact that I genuinely really adore cows) is that when the wind picked up from the west by the feed lots HOLY DID IT STINK!

"All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players: They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts" ...and in the wings of my stage, there is music.