
I love the arts. If I could, I would go to a live artistic performance of some sort every day. I just can't get enough of people doing what they are really good at doing and creating something beautiful. It's just magical.
Last night, I got to go to the Kansas City Ballet. Brian was playing in the pit orchestra and had a really big, soloistic part on Mahler's Kindertotenlieder. He did so well! It was so thrilling to hear him. He really sounded just like Dale Clevenger, our teacher. That's a good sign. =)
So, I also really love ballet! When I watch a professional company dance I feel more passionate about it than watching a symphony perform sometimes. Brian said that's just because I can enjoy it and not have to analyze it. I'm sure he's right about that. Since I've been exercising a lot at the YMCA for the past month or so I've been itching to take a ballet class again. It would be so much more fun now that I'm sort of in shape and my muscles are a lot stronger.
Here's my ballet history: age 4-6, I took ballet class and loved it. 7 years old, took tap, ballet, and jazz and I kind of got burned out. My teachers weren't as nice and I got growing pains a lot. 11 years old, almost got back into ballet in a "serious" studio but didn't for various reasons, learned the horn instead....side note...I like to think that if I had gone the ballet route, I would have ended up at Interlochen and met Brian just the same.... =) age 20 took one semester of Beginner Ballet at BYU and got an A (not very common in ballet there), age 21 took one semester of ballet at a dance studio in Chicago. Brrrrrr I get cold just thinking about all those nights I took the subway and walked to the studio in the freezing wind and I was newly pregnant and so tired! Anyway.... I am still quite a beginner but I've done a few plies and rond de jambes in my life. Are there any other former or closet ballerinas out there?
What I like about doing ballet: I like (trying to be) graceful. Ballet moves are challenging, the movements are so planned and controlled, you have to execute them so precisely. I love the challenge of making every little movement as perfect as can be. It's like classical music, for the body.
If only we could find a few horn students maybe I could scrape together some money to take an occasional adult beginner ballet class. I found out the Kansas City Ballet School offers them. I found my ballet shoes the other day and put them on and did a few spins. =) Maybe one day...

4 comments:
I'm not a closet ballerina, but I am definatly a fan. My mom was a dance major in college and I think a little of her love of dance rubbed off on me. I really wish I could dance. That's something I would wish for.
I am far from graceful, but I do enjoy watching people who ARE graceful on the stage!
I took ballet when I was very little, and I continued to dance through high school in various classes and groups. I took some beginner classes in college. I basically just love dancing, watching it and learning it.
I took a ballet class when I was a Junior in highschool to try and gain more balance and coordination on the soccer field. I don't think it worked but it was tons of fun. My class consisted of three friends two were teammates and none of us were very good or graceful. Our teacher made us be in her recital which consisted of millions of kids under the age of twelve and us. It was so embarrasseing but super funny to watch the video because we all forgot the steps halfway through one of our dances and just stood there on stage until someone remembered what we were supposed to be doing! I still have one of the costumes which I'll be wearing this halloween!
Post a Comment