Sunday, November 11, 2007

Extreme Makeover Home Edition


Who has seen Extreme Makeover Home Edition? It is a fabulous show on Sunday nights on ABC. Every time I watch it, I cry. The show finds a much deserving family whose home is falling apart. They send the family on vacation, tear their house down, and build them a completely new house, with new furnishings, landscaping, and often pay off their mortgage...all in one week. Well E.M.H.E. came to my neighborhood this past week and built a new house for a family of an Iraq vet. On Saturday I begged Brian to go with me to the "Move that Bus" taping. (they bring the family back from vacation but they have a big charter bus in front of their house so they can't see it until they move the bus). Everyone in Kansas City who wanted to see it parked at the community college, they had shuttles to take us the neighborhood, and then we walked down the street and saw the new beautiful house. We got there at about 11:30AM and the "move that bus" was supposed to happen at 1. Of course, I neglected to mention that part to Brian cause I knew he wouldn't go if he knew he'd have to stand there that long...hehehe. Well we did wait until 1 but then they were saying it wouldn't happen till 2 so we left before the big reveal because Elliott was getting heavy and needed a nap. It was worth it though. It was exciting and we did see the show's star, Ty Pennington....hehehe


I found these pictures on the newspaper's website. I was totally moved by this one. This is the owner of the new house embracing his friend who saved his life in Iraq. I get so choked up thinking about our soldiers and thinking about their families whose lives are also changed forever. It's really interesting living in a community that seems to be full of veterans, and also the type of people who would willingly fight to protect our country. K.C., KS has a small town feel compared to all the other places I've lived. Happy Veteran's Day and welcome home Gilyeat family. Thank you for serving me, even though you'll never know me.



3 comments:

Emma said...

That's so cool that you got to be there!

Ashley said...

That picture choked me up!

aurora said...

Hi Madelyn! I am so very glad that you found me! Thanks for the kind words.
I think about you and the group of girls frequently. I saw Laura McKnight just a couple of weeks ago, and Natalie on Saturday.
I'll keep up with you in the blogging world!
love ya'

"All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players: They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts" ...and in the wings of my stage, there is music.