Wednesday, November 7, 2007

The Pumpkinest Time of the Year

I happen to love treats made with pumpkin. It started with my mom's pumpkin brownies and then spread to pumpkin chocolate chip cookies. I have 2 excellent recipes for pumpkin cookies and I'd be willing to bet they are better than yours, so I thought I'd share. ;)

This is my old standby recipe that I've made for years:

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 C flour
1 C oatmeal
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 C butter (softened)
1 C packed brown sugar
1 C sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 C plus one dollop pumpkin (from the can)
2 C chocolate chips (or as little or much as you like)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In one bowl combine flour, oats, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. In a separate bowl, cream butter, gradually add sugars, beating until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla and mix well. Add dry ingredients and pumpkin, alternating between the two, starting and ending with the flour mixture. Mix well. Stir in chocolate chips. Drop spoonfuls onto lightly greased cookie sheets. Cook 7-10 minutes.

Recipe #2 that I discovered just the other day. Fresh out of the oven, they taste very different than the above recipe, but the next morning (yes I ate about half a dozen for breakfast), they tasted remarkably like the above recipe.

Pumpkin Pie cookies

1 can of pumpkin
1 box Spice flavored cake mix

Combine. Cook at 350 for about 10 minutes.

Yes, I'm serious that's it. NO butter, oil, eggs, extra sugar, etc! I split my dough into three bowls and mixed chocolate chips into one, raisins into another, and left the rest plain. I honestly liked the plain the best. And if I wanted to go overboard next time, I would probably do them all plain and then top with cream cheese frosting or glaze. Yummy! Oh and these cookies aren't that pretty, they don't cook down so they come out looking exactly like when you put them in.

Oh pumpkins. I love thee.

I've only tried one savory pumpkin dish, an Italian sausage with pasta in a pumpkin cream. All the pumpkin soup recipes I've found have not appealed to me. Do you have any great pumpkin recipes?

Well if you've a hankering for pumpkin cookies, let me know how they turn out.

6 comments:

Emma said...

Those sound so good! I'll have to try them!

Ashley said...

Yum! I love pumpkin cookies!

Megan said...

Yum, yum, yum! I have a great pumpkin cookie recipe, but I'm definitely going to try yours too!

Natalie said...

Pumpkins is the best, I agree! My favorite is pumpkin rolls. I made them on Sunday but instead of putting them into rolls I made them into actual pumpkins. I should blog about that...

Janina Herbert said...

WELL, HELLO, GORGEOUS! your comment made me SO happy for 2 reasons: 1. it was from YOU!! i actually heard from madelyn!! yay! 2. i received my very first "blog comment", which was a major milestone in the life of my blog (just kidding). but it really did make me very happy to receive a comment!
thanks for loving my blog! i know, i love it, too. i look at it all the time. i'm gonna call you, i think, so we can catch up (now that i have a life again...sort of :P) LOVE AND MISS YOU AND CAN'T WAIT TO CALL YOU THIS WEEKEND! oh wait. i don't have your number. the one that's saved in my phone says it's no longer in service :( please send me your number, ok? love you! talk to you soon! (ps - and i'm DEFINITELY going to make those pumpkin cookie recipies. matt will LOVE them!)

Kathryn said...

I'm on a huge pumpkin kick right now, so I'm definitely going to try these. I made pumpkin pudding today!

"All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players: They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts" ...and in the wings of my stage, there is music.