Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Get the Camera Quick!

My son ate vegetables. Willingly and on purpose. Last night he ate his dinner and then wanted to get up on my lap and eat the remainder of my dinner: spinach and cheese stuffed manicotti. I mean the child was putting gobs of spinach in his mouth and eating it like it was candy! I could not believe my eyes! We captured the moment cause who knows if it will ever happen again. And pasta and ground beef. He'll never eat ground beef! I guess he thought he was being cool since it was my plate and my fork and my dinner. I couldn't believe it cause he had to have been full already.

And he was too full....about 6:30 this morning I heard him crying. It's too early... I thought. I went in his room to get the pacifier that had fallen out of the crib (yes he still likes a pacifier at night...i know i know) and I was just going to get it, stick it in his mouth, and go back to bed. I saw the pacifier on the floor and thought What is that next to it?...It looks like...manicotti... EWWWW gross! Yes, Elliott and the sheet and blanket were covered in his "extra" dinner. And it wasn't fresh... See Brian and I had a humidifier in our room last night since we're both fighting colds and since we were sick and the humidifier was loud we never heard him wake up...that means my son had his first episode of throwing up in the middle of the night...and I didn't even hear it! I didn't even wake up! My poor baby had to throw up in the dark by himself and then fall back to sleep in his own barf! Sorry if this is TMI but I feel so bad. As my friend reassured me at playgroup today, "Don't worry Madelyn, you'll have plenty more chances to clean up throw up in the middle of the night." Sigh. At least he's not sick, just too full. The first time to eat vegetables and it doesn't even stick...

7 comments:

Emma said...

That's a great story. And don't feel too bad. He survived, he'll be OK. Now lets see if he eats vegetables again;)

Anonymous said...

Do you want to hear another vomiting story? Camille gets carsick and occasionally throws up as we're driving around. The last time, we were 20 minutes from home and didn't have the diaper bag or anything to clean her up with, so she had to sit there in huge pools of vomit while we drove with the windows down praying that we wouldn't all throw up too.

The worst part is, she keeps throwing up in the same carseat, so we have one that is extremely clean and one that is dirty beyond belief. But there's NO WAY I'm taking apart the non-vomity seat- those thing are MONSTERS!

Janina Herbert said...

HAHAHAHA!!! i love your post! ("cankles") you are the best, madelyn! i just love your humour - do you know none of my friends have that sense of humour? you're the only one - i love it! anyways, i'm glad your son ate vegetables! you do such an amazing job of updating your blog regularly - an example to us all! (haha)

anyways, what are you guys doing for christmas? i just sent you our christmas card so *hopefully* you'll get it by christmas - just know it's on the way!

alright, gotta go. LOVE AND MISS YOU! i love how the blog has magically opened the window to correspondence between us again - i'm so happy because I MISSED YOU! mwah! merry christmas! (ps -your boy is ADORABLE and you are quite the sexy mommy! ;)

Janina Herbert said...

(ok so i just read the blog and that is so sad! i'm sorry about the whole situation. although it's true, you can take solace in the fact that there WILL be plenty more times for you to wake up and comfort your baby in the middle of the night when he's sick :) and he probably won't even remember this instance anyways! so don't worry :)

Brekke said...

Oh, that's so sad! Kinda cute in a gross kind of way, though.

Kathryn said...

Same thing happened to us a couple of months ago--middle of the night baby vomiting! That I didn't wake up to. Riley woke up with vomit-covered hair. I felt like the worst mom ever! Glad to know it's relatively normal...
And congrats on the veggies! I guess gobs of cheese and tomato sauce can make anything taste great!?

Megan said...

Poor Elliott. I'll have to agree with your friend at play group--you'll have plenty of chances to clean up vomit in the middle of the night so don't worry that you missed this one!

"All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players: They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts" ...and in the wings of my stage, there is music.