Monday, December 3, 2007

haircut obsession

Does this happen to anyone else?

The process:

Committal:
When it's time for a haircut, and really time now, cause it was time 6 weeks ago and you've put it off long enough, you finally commit: this is the week I'm getting my haircut.

Where:
Especially if you're new to the area, you've asked all your friends where they go and who does it. You've decided on the place and based on your options for available childcare you decide on a day and time and make an appointment.

What:
Now this is the big question. Do you say "just a trim", "just clean it up a bit, add some layers"
OR
do you waste countless man hours searching the internet and the magazines for hairstyles you might want to try.
OR
Do you add even more intrigue by toying with the idea of COLOR?

In college I would get my hair highlighted/lowlighted and I absolutely loved it. Oprah just did a show on the Great American Haircut and now I am highlight hungry again. I haven't added any color to my hair in over 2 years, totally due to cost. Now I have a little extra cash, (who am I kidding, it's not extra, there's a million other things I could and should do with it) and I really want to spice my hair life up a bit. Why does highlighting hair cost so much money? And then more and more money to maintain it....arrrgghhh.

So what's your process? Do you have a method for picking a new look? Are you brave enough to pick a new look if it's been awhile? How do you effectively communicate what you envision your hair looking like when you walk out of the salon? I'm a total believer that mommies deserve cute, new hair every once in a while!

7 comments:

Megan said...

I have a hairy stylist that always does wonders with my hair. I never have to worry that it will look bad. I can give her a slight idea of what I kind of want and she makes it look fabulous. The problem--she lives in Utah and I live in Colorado. So, I usually just get a trim until I go to visit my parents in Utah and then I dare do something drastic. I really need to find someone that lives closer!

Emma said...

I love my hair. But I don't change it, hardly ever. Kimber used to cut it in TX, now I cut it, or my MIL. I've never gotten highlights, perms etc. I did get it layered once back in college, but it didn't really do much for me. So now it's just straight across! Good luck.

Janina Herbert said...

i COMPLETELY empathize with you, madelyn! about 2 weeks ago I found myself in the same situation (well, minus the highlighting. I've vowed to never dye/highlight my hair until I get grays). I was craving a new look - something sexy, something unexpected, something other than the usual! So I went to a haircutting school (cost reasons - only $8, ya can't go wrong!), and set my apt. for 6:15 pm. I forgot to add into my calculations that by then it would be DARK outside, due to daylight savings time. So I get drive there, and since the map said it was only about 4 miles away, I didn't think it would be in a neighborhood any different than mine. Wow, big mistake. I was SO AFRAID TO GET OUT OF MY CAR!! Anyways, long story short - because of the ghetto-ness of the salon and its neighborhood, I could only manage to ask for a trim ("just to get rid of the split ends"), and prayed the whole time that the woman (who was a recent immigrant from the ukraine) would understand what I meant by trim and wouldn't lob off half of my hair!

so....now i'm back where I started, and I found myself just yesterday looking at my hair thinking "the tips of my hair look really flat and frazzled...I think I should schedule an appointment come January...". So there ya go. My advice would be - BE ADVENTUROUS...but make sure you go somewhere TRUSTWORTHY (and not in the ghetto:)

love you and thanks for your comment on my blog! :)

Brekke said...

I am having the very same dilema right now! I guess I need to hook up with Megan's hair stylist. I always stick with a person once I find one that is good. One place I liked was the cosmetology school. The cost is low, but the stress may be a little higher. I had good results, though. I am all for mommies getting new cute styles once in a while!

susannah said...

I was always a dare devil with my hair "Cut it short, do what you think will look good, let's add some purple, red, pink, copper, blond," etc. There was also the ill-fated "let's go platinum blond." That was unfortunate.
My favorite hairdresser is in Canada, so that sucks. I've never quite found anyone else who is even a fraction as good as her (She did not do the blond for me.)

Anonymous said...

My process is to look like crap.

That's not a nice comment!

My hair is long and I don't ever fix it. I got it cut once in the past year. It looked good on the day they cut it. When I had short hair, I got it cut about every 2 months, and loved how it looked all the time. But, then it grew out- Paul likes it long (not that he's my dictator- that Paul!) and I know I'll cut it someday soon, but the upkeep is what kills me! I can't even find a babysitter to go to the doctor- how could I find a babysitter to get my hair cut?

Ashley said...

I stress and put haircuts off all the time! I think it makes it worse to be a stylist because you know exactly what you want but can't do it yourself. Good luck with your highlights! Way to support your local beauty schools! How would we learn without people like you!

"All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players: They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts" ...and in the wings of my stage, there is music.