Saturday, December 8, 2007

Winter Woe-land

Guess what, Winter has hit Kansas City. They even canceled church tomorrow! Woah.

It hit on Thursday. I remember getting ready for the gym in the morning, I heard the weather on the TV..."Light snow". Sweet. Pretty flakes....NOT. It started snowing as I got to the gym but an hour later, everything was covered in snow. I thought it was pretty until I skidded in the parking lot and then almost didn't make it up the first hill. Apparently fresh snow is hard to drive on. We even have brand new tires and it didn't seem to make a bit of difference!

Driving in Snow 101
Go slower. Break sooner. No sudden movements. Hope there aren't other cars in the way when you do a 180.


This is what I learned as I was slipping and sliding all over the roads on the way home. WHERE were the Sand Trucks?! For the love do I live that far out in the boonies? In Houston when it got down to like 35 degrees they sent out an army brigade of snow trucks and canceled school. I saw huge SUVs on their sides, in the ditch, on the side of the highway and I did not see any sand/salt trucks. A little frustrating since I felt I was one wrong move away from being in the ditch or under an 18 wheeler myself.

The Blanchards were a little unprepared. I sent Brian to Walmart that night for a snow shovel. They were out. Luckily, the next night, we went to another Walmart and we got the last one. We also bought some Ice Melt stuff and new, winter worthy wiper blades. We did have the ice scrapers though, we get points for that.

HAIR UPDATE
So I decided to go to a beauty school for a cut and highlights. I've done it before with good results and the cost is oh so much more reasonable. Guess what day I decided to go? Thursday, the day the weather madness started. I was so late (20 min) to the appt. due to driving safely on the horrid roads with white knuckles, just sure I was going to get in a wreck and die in my pursuit of vanity, that they said they didn't have time to color my hair because the instructor wanted to leave on time. Super frustrating since I'd just risked my life driving 30 miles across town. They said they could still cut it but I'd have to come back on Saturday for the highlights. I came prepared with a picture and we discussed and then discussed with the teacher what was to be done. Chop Chop chop "darnit*!" (*word changed to protect the innocent). Oh boy. So it ended up shorter and not exactly the shape I was going for but hair grows so it's all okay. Not bad for a $9 haircut.

So today I went all the way back, in icy conditions, looking forward to getting my hair colored, hoping that my 8-year-old-ish haircut would gain some depth and dimension. As I pulled up, I noticed the salon looked a little dark. There was a little sign on the door "Closed today due to weather". Oh no she didn't. I sat there in the car in front of the salon in disbelief for a minute. Some lady came to the door. I got out. "I have an appointment today." "Well we're closed." "Well I see that but I just drove 40 minutes to get here, you could have called me." "Well we have a lot of students here and I've been calling all morning." This was at 10 AM. They "open" at 9. Are you telling me that in an hour, she couldn't open up the appointment book and see me and my phone number and give me a call?! Unbelievable. She wasn't even apologetic. I'm not going back there. I found another location that is slightly closer to my house. I'm telling myself it was all in God's plan, that the girl would have ruined my hair today and He was just saving me from it.

Sigh. It ended up not being a ruined morning cause Brian and Elliott had come along too. We found a Kohls--Power Hours Baby! I got 2 new skirts, a corduroy one for $10 and a denim one for $6! Woo. That put me in a better mood. Then we found a really cool mall. We ate at Panda Express for lunch! We love Panda Express and we haven't been in a really long time.

Sorry for the really long post but I just remembered that on Friday our friend Kelly met us at the Plaza (a cool outdoor shopping area) and snapped some pictures for us for our Christmas cards. For some reason, it was really hard to get a one and a half year old to look at the camera and smile at the same time. Which picture do you like better?








7 comments:

Emma said...

I like the second one! Sorry about the icy roads! We have been told that if it snows here you just don't go out! They only have 2 sand trucks!!! OK maybe I'm exaggerating a little. I'm glad you found a better salon!

Kathryn said...

Your haircut looks cute! I like them both, but I vote for the top one. Good luck with the snow. It's only fun if you can coop up inside!

Megan said...

We're getting pummelled with the snow here too, but not as bad as you! It's so scary to drive on the icy roads. I hate it! Oh, and I like the first picture best.

Anonymous said...

number 1

aurora said...

Great pictures! I like them both--maybe the first one is better of your littlest man.
:)

Brekke said...

I like the first picture. And cute hair by the way! I think I may take that same advice and find a hair school in town. Mine is out of control.

Janina Herbert said...

ohhhh madelyn! that story was (sorry to say) COMICAL! your life is so adventurous! and just for the record, i like the first picture of you three best (the one you ended up sending for the christmas cards anyways) so good choice! i love and miss you! keep on posting so i can stay updated! merry christmas, beautiful!

(PS - your haircut doesn't look like an 8-year old girl's. don't worry :)

"All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players: They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts" ...and in the wings of my stage, there is music.