Thursday, October 23, 2008

new city, new doctor

Today was one of those weird/off days. I didn't sleep well, not even close. I had to fight with Elliott to get him to eat his breakfast. It was raining a very cold, wet, fall rain and with all the carseat buckling/unbuckling my back got so wet that when I made it to my first appointment with my new obgyn and sat in the air conditioning (?), I felt cold and clammy like I had been sweating a lot. And then there was some insurance confusion at the front desk since all my cobra business isn't straightened out yet.

Then as I sat in the waiting room I felt my heart rate getting higher and higher and thought steam was going to start coming out of my ears. There was a grandma in the waiting room feeding her 6 week old grandson a 6 oz. bottle of apple juice!!!!!!! For the love people, everyone knows newborns ONLY need breast milk and/or formula. I guess it was a combination of my passion for good child dietary habits and my about-to-be-feeding-a-newborn myself that made me get so, so mad at this stupid woman for starting this helpless child off on the road to childhood obesity good and early. He doesn't need that! He needs what's in formula/breast milk! Stop feeding him that! I wanted to scream!

Anyway, my doctor was completely fine. I think I'll keep her. She didn't schedule the c-section yet, she said it won't be a problem to get me in, but we're thinking probably Dec. 26. She did say I'm measuring 4cm too big. Yikes! Could I have really grown 8cm in the last month?! "Guess I better lay off the pumpkin baked goods," but she just kind of looked at me. She didn't say anything about cutting back what I was eating or that I'm gaining too much. She said it could just be my body/how the baby is. I'm going back in two weeks and if she still thinks I'm too big she'll do an ultrasound. Guess I'll try not to worry about it for the next two weeks. Maybe she just measures a little differently than my old doctor...

Has anyone else suffered really achy fingers during their pregnancy? My fingers, especially at the bottom knuckles are really sore. Arthritis like maybe? They hurt a lot at night and I often wake up and my fingers are asleep. They've hurt all day today though. Like to open a tight lid or grab the steering wheel and turn it fast has been painful. I feel like I can't make a tight fist. When I asked the doctor she was like, "Hmmm yeah, nothing you can do about that. Try massaging them." Hmmm use my sore fingers to massage my sore fingers? Let's think about that.

My in-laws are coming tomorrow so I've been a cleaning fool! The room they're sleeping in still needs a lot of organizing so I better get to it! And then watch THE OFFICE!

4 comments:

Miss L said...

Okay, I'd be totally disturbed at the Grandma/apple juice thing. I might have even said something about it because I didn't think their little bodies could handle that...but then again, Dr. Yu suggested giving Miss Q pedialyte when she was constipated and she was only a week old...maybe that's what Grandma was doing????

ANYWAY! The finger aching thing/numbness. Yes. I had that, and I had to wear a splint brace thingy I bought at Wal-mart to bed because my doctor said it was pregnancy related carpal tunnel--and there really isn't anything much you can do about it :(. I totally went away after Miss O was born and I didn't get it with Miss Q, so it really is one of those weird things.

Hope everything works out with the new doctor! Sure miss you back here in Kansas.

Carolyn said...

My harp teacher got really sore, swollen hands when she was expecting. She said she couldn't really practice for the second half of her pregnancy! I hope it's not that serious for you.

Courtney said...

Oh yes, the hand pain. I also had aches in my legs at night too. Have you settled on a name yet? One of my good friends is having a baby girl and is due on dec 24th, very close to yours!

Adrienne said...

Don't you pretty much feel like the garbage body lady whenst pregnant? It's like, if something could hurt/be weird for months or even just a random week, IT IS. YES, it wasn't till you posted this that I remembered my bizarre finger numbness, along with my shooting pains in embarrassing regions, my inability to roll over, my canker sores, my bruisy legs...
oh honey. YOU ROCK. And if it makes you feel better, I nearly told off a grandma that was YELLING at a 3 month old she was babysitting in Chicago. I wanted to slap her silly. I think being prego just makes you that much more likely to deck stupid people.

"All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players: They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts" ...and in the wings of my stage, there is music.