Last Saturday we headed to Soulard, the Cajun neighborhood in St. Louis, to go to the Soulard Market, St. Louis' only surviving produce market, est. 1838. Actually we went because Brian read about a donut shop in the market. Not kidding. Mini-donuts has been there serving hot, fresh, miniature donuts since the 70s and if you know us, you know we're all about the hot, fresh donuts. The Soulard Market was an exciting experience, filled with all kinds of interesting people and smells. This place was not for the weak of stomach! It wasn't just produce, there was an actual deli/butcher type place and a pet shop. Get your parakeet and your smoked ham hocks! There were also some food stands and I kid you not, there were people getting nachoes and hot dogs with mustard and sauerkraut and relish before 9AM. Like I said, not for the weak stomachs!
Have I told you of my son's recent love for the guitar? Well it just so happened there was a little band on the sidewalk and when Elliott showed interest, they welcomed him and gave him a pic and let him strum the banjo while they sang about Jessee James.

1 comment:
that sounds like a ton of fun. I LOVE finding markets and really interesting places like that. This sounds super corny but I swear my soul craves these types of things because reading your post has made me almost homesick for this (even though there is nothing like this where I grew up.) I know, sounds crazy, but I'm telling you I yearn for stuff like this. Wow, I sound nuts, but it's true.
Post a Comment