Thursday, October 2, 2008

First Impressions

Thoughts on Moving:

  • Hiring movers for the first time was an interesting experience. Talk about the strongest guys I've ever seen! It was nice to not have to bug church people but at the same time, our ipod is missing. We think the moving company will replace it...
  • I would not recommend cleaning a house top to bottom, wrastlin' a 2 year old during moving time, loading up cars, and then driving across the state. The day's events took a total of 16 hours, which was way too grueling on my body. I wanted to throw up and punch somebody in the nose by the time we checked into the hotel in St. Louis after midnight.
  • A hotel for the first two nights with free breakfast is a great idea.
  • Getting around town- yay for the gps! If only it could tell me what lane I needed to be in for those surprise mandatory left and right turns.
Thoughts on mourning suburbia:

  • Where oh where have my SuperTarget and SuperWalmart gone? Now I must support local chain grocery stores. Oh the drudgery.
  • The traffic lanes are so small! Do I need glasses, cause I feel like I'm going to scrape the sides of my car on other moving cars?
  • Regular Target, while nice and reminiscent of Chicago with its underground parking, was out of a lot of things, also reminiscent of Chicago.
  • from a garage to street parking....sigh....
Thoughts on loving the city life:

  • Brian rode his bike the 3 miles to work today! (How foreign to me!)
  • Everything we need is right here so no traffic/very little gasoline expenditure.
  • Stuff to do! We haven't done it yet, but it will be cool when we do!
  • Trader Joe's, a unique grocery store. How I pity the people who've never been to one. This one I don't mind one bit.
  • This is the first place we've rented where the owner sprung for not the cheapest kind of everything. It's about appreciating the details!
  • The sidewalks through our neighborhood, great for Elliott and his little bike and for me to get out in the crisp fall air.

7 comments:

happyfamily said...

Congratulations! You made it! I'm sure that you will love it- and learn to not miss suburbia.

Kathryn said...

Glad you made it safely. City livin' in the best!

Emma said...

Have fun with the transition! Isn't Trader Joe's great?!

Unknown said...

yay!!! :) I'm glad you made it safely!

Carolyn said...

I also LOVE living in a city. The walking is probably my favorite part. Scott and I might drive somewhere once a week but we walk and take the train several times a day. It feels so wonderful! And there is so much to see and do! There are so many different kinds of people that sometimes the train stop is an education of its own. I couldn't hail city life enough.

Kerolann said...

You are so lucky to be by a Trader Joe's again! Good luck with all the unpacking and settling it--it takes a while.

Adrienne said...

Your brownstone is SO cute and so Blanchard. Seriously, Madelyn, you fit in anywhere you go. You guys love life, and that happens wherever you live. I'm just glad you're not THAT far away from us KC-ites!

"All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players: They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts" ...and in the wings of my stage, there is music.